Dumb Question about Heat tape - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-18-2004, 11:46 PM   #1
connorrm
Dumb Question about Heat tape

I know how heat tape works but what do you need to buy to make it work when you buy heat tape...LOL....I know this sounds dumb but like how do you plug it in or whatever?

Old 12-19-2004, 03:17 AM   #2
Beyond the Web
Heat tape is like magic. Just place it anywhere, and heat will react. Something like that... oooh magic! No plugs at all!

Old 12-19-2004, 03:18 AM   #3
lizwinz
there's a clip & cord set that you can buy that has two clips that you attach to the flexwatt & a crimping tool that you can use to attach the clips

also there's insulator sets that are sold for the clips, i'm not sure how nessesary they are i would think you could use electric tape or silicon...maybe someone else knows for sure

--liz

Old 12-19-2004, 04:41 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
If you choose to use the metal connectors, you can get them individually from the Bean Farm.
Pick up a 6 foot cord at Wal-Mart for less than a dollar. Cheaper than the cord and clip sets, most places want two bucks for the cord.
The crimping tool isn't required, but it works well. Heavy pliers and some good hand strength does the job just fine too and it's cheaper.
I solder the wires on myself and don't use the metal connectors at all.
Here is a page of mine detailing the assembly of a flexwatt heater.

How to Wire Flexwatt

Old 12-19-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
connorrm
Thanks clay!! If you hook it up to a thermostate it will shut off at the correct temp right?

Old 12-19-2004, 10:07 AM   #6
Clay Davenport
As long as it is a thermostat and not a rheostat, yes it will shut off.
The high end thermostats, which are proportional, don't turn the heater off, but constantly adjust the power flow to maintain the desired temperature. On/off type thermostats are normally adequate for cage use though, unless you need automated night drop or something. I like the Repti-temp 500R model from ZooMed. It can be had for $22 or so and is a good unit.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!