For those of you out there with more then one strain of albinos.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-08-2005, 12:12 AM   #1
wahberee
For those of you out there with more then one strain of albinos....

Im thinking about getting into hybino's but I dont like the fact that a albino always has their eyes closed when theyre out in the light. Which Strain of Albino would you consider to be the least sensitive to light??? Please respond with a voice of experience.
Thanks

Old 02-08-2005, 12:27 AM   #2
Manhattan Herps
i keep trempers and rainwaters, my rainwaters show no effect at all towards bright light, when i feel like taking a few outside shots the trempers always scurry out of the light, the rainwaters sit there with no effect

never kept a bell though..im sure kelli or robin could tell you

Old 02-08-2005, 12:44 AM   #3
Jeremy Letkey
Robert, I do keep all three strains of albinos. In my opinion I would say that my rainwaters are the least sensitive to light. I do not experience any extreme sensitivity in any of the three strains though. Dan mentioned that his Trempers scurry out of the light. I have not noticed this in mine. I also think that the demeanor of the gecko could play some role in this. Some of my geckos try to be evasive during photos and others just chill out.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:37 AM   #4
Xelda
None of my albinos seem to try to avoid the light, but I have noticed that my Bells and Trempers show impaired vision in a fully lit room. The Trempers have terrible aim and the Bells don't seem to notice the food at all even if the crickets are walking right under their nose. These aren't my timid, clumsy leos either. I'm talking about some of my fiercest hunters who are not afraid to eat while I'm watching. I'm pretty sure it's the lighting that causes the impairment because as soon as I put the lid back on their box or if I reduce the room lighting to just a lamp, they're back in action. That's just my experience. I agree that Rainwaters don't really have any problem at all with lighting. Mine don't seem to show any marked differences in behavior.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
Franks_Geckos
No problems with light.

I have been dealing with Rainwaters far longer than I have with Trempers, however, I have not noticed any effect of light sensitivity with any of my albinos, although I have really not done any concentrated study on it. Albinos by nature are more sensitive to bright light than non-albinos, but even my Albinos do not routinely shut their eyes when they are in a well lit area.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #6
Manhattan Herps
i guess i should have made myself a bit more clear, lol

when i take any outside pictures,..i walk over to my window, when i get to the window, any one of my trempers shut there eyes and seem like they want toi get as far way from the light as possible, they are fine in a lit room..i think it has tp do with UV light which is alot stronger than an incandescent lightbulb, but the rainwaters just sit there calm, the light doesnt even seem to phase them at all.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:46 PM   #7
o0 RYAN 0o
I have 3 trempers and an tangerine albino (most like from trempers). All of my albinos weren't big fans of any light when they were younger.

My first, a tremper, got used to the light after about six months. Also, I have this tremper in a community tank with some other females. I have a hood with a UV light in it, that was originally used for a bearded. Anyways, I turn that UV light on for extra light to feed them. She doesn't mind the UV at all.

I got two more trempers as teenie babies, and they got used to the light after about 2 months. All they want to do now is be held and come out, the light doesn't bother them at all.

My tangerine albino I bought around 4 months in age hated the light. He was comletely blind in any light. He would walk off a cliff if you'd let him. He is roughly 8 months now and is doing better. He still will only eat in low light situations. I'm hoping he will get used to the light some day.

I know some of what I said is obvious, but I thought I'd just let know what my experiences were. They're all different.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
wahberee
Thanks for all the great replies,
Ive went to a couple of expo's and asked this question because vendors would ussually use bright lights to showcase thier geckos and I noticed that all the albinos (babies or adults) would have thier eyes shut. So with time they become desensitized to light??? Does anyone have any adult albinos that are still sensitive to light, and if so, which strain???

Old 02-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #9
Manhattan Herps
i have about..9 adult trempers that still show sensitivity. but i dont keep them in a very well lit room, i've never kept overhead lights on them either, but if i shine a flashlight into one of their tubs and they are out, they close there eyes.

Old 02-08-2005, 06:03 PM   #10
leaftail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay_Dude
... but if i shine a flashlight into one of their tubs and they are out, they close there eyes.

so would I.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!