Microchipping? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:21 AM   #1
cat0623
Lightbulb Microchipping?

Does anyone do this to keep track of their animals in stock?

Old 07-30-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
Zoo Supply
I do

I do sometimes. I also have used microchips when I had someone steal from me. Check out the BOI thread on Zane Neher. I set him up by microchipping some peruvian redtails then leaving them for him to take. Fortunately cops got him prior to us having to resort to that.

I microchip some of my animals though.
TOM

Old 07-30-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
ffollett
Quote:
I microchip some of my animals though.
We have looked into this for some of our snakes. Especially some of our odd looking ones that people have made a lot of offers on.
What kind did you use to microchip or would you recommend?

Old 07-31-2005, 05:59 PM   #4
Jungle Gems
We use A.V.I.D. microchips in our birds and reptiles and will soon begin chipping the high-dollar animals we sell as an added bonus to our clients.

Go to www.avidmicrochip.com for more information regarding these chips.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
Crested Lady
Try contacting your local rescue to see what type of scanner they have. There are several different types of microchips and most scanners can only detect their specific type of chip. (Most thefts occur locally, so it's always best to check with your local vets and rescues.)

Old 08-03-2005, 04:37 PM   #6
cat0623
Is this an excepted practice?

Old 09-15-2005, 11:29 PM   #7
coyote
Do you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat0623
Is this an excepted practice?
accepted?

Old 11-30-2005, 09:40 PM   #8
Reptile Basics
We have used them for awhile now

Just now spotted this thread so I am a bit late to the fun. We have virtually all snakes we produced this year with a value over $100 or so. It is an added bonus for our customers and helps us to keep track of who is who a little more reliably than a piece of masking tape on the front of the box. It is especially nice after a show when putting everyone back in their boxes. No chance for confusion. All of our adults are chipped as well.
We have been using the AVID chips and have been very happy with them. I have personally injected over 275 chips to date without incident. They are pretty cheap, about $6.50 ea. in a 100 lot, or about a dollar more in a 25 lot. The scanner we use is a universal and will do most brand chips and cost about $200. Hope this helps.
Rich Goldzung
Reptile Basics Inc
www.reptilebasics.com

Old 01-19-2006, 04:43 PM   #9
josco79
If anyone is still watching this thread, I am curious what age/size is appropriate to chip. I have some higher value specimens that I would like to chip.

Thanks,

Josco79
1.2 Lavender Corns
1.2 100% het for Hypo Brazilian Rainbow Boas
1.1 Irian Jaya Carpet Pythons

Old 01-19-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
Reptile Basics
boas and balls

I chip balls after their 2nd shed. They have pretty thick skin and are easy to do. Havent had a problem yet. Boas I wait till about 4-5 sheds. Baby boas tend to have thinner skin and are much skinnier at birth. Make a harder target.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!