new at petsmart! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
DeVackHerps
new at petsmart!

well i know 99% of people hate petsmart and i do also even though i work there. well when i came in today i went to the freezer and i saw forzen mice!now selling frozen mice, in 6 packs. 6 pinkies, 6 fuzzies, or 6 small mice, for 9.99 each. about time they start selling some of this stuff. there packed by "T-Rex" maybe they will start to sell snakes, lmao

Old 11-18-2005, 09:13 PM   #2
SPJ
6 pinkies for $9.99!!!!

What a ripoff.

They are going to sit and get freezer burn at those prices.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
DeVackHerps
i agree ripoff, but at least there coming around to selling feeders. but at my store i turn away like 2 people a day saying no mice or no frozen. so they will at least sell in my store. I'm only gonna buy some if i NEED them desperately. other then that i just buy them in bulk offline or expos.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
Cat_72
Holy cow.....that's STEEP. I think even the most expensive at pet shops around here is .99 each for pinkies, and even THAT makes me crazy. But I guess if someone needs a few, desperately, in a hurry, and it's a Friday afternoon...... *shrug*

Old 11-18-2005, 11:57 PM   #5
Clay Davenport
Wow, ripoff doesn't even seem adequate to describe those prices. I saw that product advertised in the new Reptiles and wondered how much they were going to gouge out of neophyte keepers for that.
I can't forsee being desperate enough to have to buy them though. After all if you're talking about snakes they aren't going to die even if it takes you a week to get an order in.
Sometimes we, as experienced keepers, forget that pet shops cater to the inexperienced. They will sell them to people who don't know any better. Just like they sell a dozen crickets for a dollar, and get $20 for about $2 worth of cage carpet.
I've long been both disgusted and amazed at the cost of commercially packaged supplies. Could you imagine trying to support a large collection of snakes solely with supplies and food from your local pet store?
I bought another 75 gallon fish tank a couple of weeks ago and that was the first time I'd been inside a pet shop in probably a year, aside from a fish speciality store where I buy my salt and stuff. The manager couldn't believe I just wanted a tank only and not one of their flimsy $150 stands or their $80 flourescent lights to go with it.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
cutefaces
Omg....

OMG......seeing as i am new to reptiles i feel like an a**, you won't believe this, but i'm paying 1.99 a piece at super pet here in ottawa (on)..........i only buy two large f/t pinkies at a time, i go in every week, every other week!!!!!!!!! so ok......let me hear it!!!! i'm ready!

Old 03-01-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
Cat_72
Well, if you're only buying 2 pinkies every week or 2, it's really not practical for you to order in bulk to get better prices.....those of us who feed larger quantities can get them in much larger quantities to get better prices, or raise our own.

But yeah......$1.99 apiece, that's pretty, uh.....crazy, lol.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:14 PM   #8
Junkyard
I breed my own rodents, it got to the point that I could not afford spending so much on rodents. They breed pretty fast and easy, so it works out great for me. Sometimes I think they do not breed fast enough, I need more rodents I guess.

You are new to reptiles, so keep your eyes open and you will find a place that sells them for less. Nothing to be ashamed of if you have not found better prices elsewhere yet.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
tandy4000
I dont have a lot of snakes but i still buy pinkies bulk. I get 50 for 9.99 at reptile expos and I split the bag in two halves, that way the pinks dont get freezer burn. I also double bag so that they don't get burned. Find a reptile expo near you, chances are, someone is selling food.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
Griz
I have a local breeder that sells me pinkie rats for $.10 cents a piece. Although his jumbo rats are only a dollar! We also have an Amish auction house where I can pick up several pound rabbits for a buck a piece too. I reckon I am in the glory land compared to most.

Griz

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!