Suagr Gider info needed from someone who has one - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 11-20-2005, 08:52 PM   #1
PoohBear03031
Suagr Gider info needed from someone who has one

I have wanted to get a sugar glider for years, but I am not sure whether or not to support their sale. I know that a lot of vets aren't very knowledgable about them. I just wanted to see what some owners opinions were. I will not get one until I am sure that I can properly care or it and I am sure that I have a vet localy that can treat it if needed. Also, are they sensitive to smoke? I live in a smoking household,

Old 11-20-2005, 09:05 PM   #2
Karen Hulvey
I used to raise sugar gliders. They are neat, neat little guys/gals.

These animals are nocturnal and they will sleep all day. If that's still the pet you want and you do get one, get a female as males have a scent gland on their chests and one on their foreheads. They will scent mark you a lot because they are making sure other gliders know that you belong to them. It really stinks. They will also urinate and scent mark their sleeping pouches so you will have to wash them a lot. Females have a smell too but it's nothing like the males' smell.

Get them a large cage, at least 3' wide, 2' deep and around 4' tall and larger if you can afford it. These guys love to move around and play. They like lots of climbing branches and a glider-safe wheel which is a wheel that doesn't have the little bars on it.

Buy them glider food. They can eat cat food, etc. but it's not healthy for them. Get a diet specified for gliders. There is a product called Glider-Aide that is a powder and you mix it with water. It's good for them and they love it.

As for smoke being harmful to them. Yes, secondhand smoke is harmful to anything especially something so small.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!