Frozen food - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-10-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
Bella17
Frozen food

So my little girl im getting from Brian Barcyzk is comming the home on the 20th!!!!!! i was wondering if anyone could tell me where id be able to buy frozen mice/ rats in bulk.. so i can store and feed. the closest place for dead mice is 20 min, which ill drive but theres gotta be an easier way... so any good people out there to buy from??? and how long can you keep them frozen??

Michelle

Old 12-10-2005, 11:02 AM   #3
Bella17
Thanks Bill, i was sure there was other threads i just couldnt find them!
Michelle

Old 12-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #5
Scott Ashton
I've found Big Cheese Rodents to have an excellent product.

Very clean, well-sized, and vacuum packed.

-Scott

Old 12-10-2005, 03:49 PM   #6
Scott Nellis
Talking vacuum packing

If at all possible, try to buy your rodents vacuum packed. They will last a much longer time, at least 6 months or more, without getting freezer burnt. I've had very good luck with The Mouse Factory. Their rodents come vacuum packed and neatly arranged on styro trays. Makes it easy when you're trying to separate 1 or 2 frozen rodents from the rest in a pack.

Scott Nellis

Old 12-10-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
Dr Owens
I've always had really good results with Rodent Pro. In fact, many of the other big suppliers actually keep up with demand by buying from Rodent Pro when their own production falls behind (for whatever reason).

Old 12-10-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
hhmoore
Don't rule out your local source, though. depending on prices (and how many you use), it may be more cost effective to just buy them there periodically. Remember, you will have to factor the shipping charges into the overall price. Another option, if you are using alot of frozen feeders, is to go in on a purchase with somebody. Or maybe you could get a better price from your local supplier by "pre-ordering", so they just tack your stuff into their order...unless they grow their own.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:16 PM   #9
coyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nellis
If at all possible, try to buy your rodents vacuum packed. They will last a much longer time, at least 6 months or more, without getting freezer burnt. I've had very good luck with The Mouse Factory. Their rodents come vacuum packed and neatly arranged on styro trays. Makes it easy when you're trying to separate 1 or 2 frozen rodents from the rest in a pack.

Scott Nellis
Vacuum packed is definitely the way to go for long term storage. But, as soon as you cut open the package, the storage life isn't any longer than for an average plastic freezer bag. So, if a person is only using a few per week out of a package of 25 to 50, the remainder have to be vacuum packed into smaller packages. You either have to have your own vacuum food sealer for this or arrange for the vendor to pack your purchase in many smaller packages. Some will, some won't.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:42 AM   #10
Bella17
Thanks Everyone, Brian Barcyzk said he uses Rodent pro, and said they are awesome.. so i think the first time i buy ill buy from them. im only getting a small bunch.. hes feeding normal adult mice right now, so i was only thinking of getting 10 adult mice and maybe 3-5 of the next step up.. then after that ill see what works best. but thanks for all the help!!
Michelle

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!