Blood pythons, personality, and musk.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
liquidleaf
Blood pythons, personality, and musk....

Just curious about your experiences with blood pythons.

With CB babies, how common is it for them to "musk" you? What is that like when it happens? Do babies, when handled often, normally tame down well or is it a roll of the dice?

Old 01-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
jamie_herp08
I have a juevenile black blood, and she is a little sweetheart, she has never struck or musked.
jamie

Old 01-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
monitorman85
same thing here i have a 2ft red blood python and he/she is calm as can be.i have never been niten or musked at all or atleast not yet lol.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
Junkyard
Every time I see thread like this I think of a Sumatran Blood baby I held once, that little terror had problems, it would jump out of my hands to bite a passer by. I am sure it was a wild caught. Though what are good bloods to own? I love them, but I hear they are testy and untrusting.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:28 PM   #5
hhmoore
Now Michael, that isn't very nice. You don't see me picking on retics cuz they get so darned big, do you?
WC bloods, esp when imported as subadults or older, can be (and stay) nasty. On the other hand CH and CB babies, with a minimum of gentle handling, can be an absolute joy to own. Many baby snakes are aggressive right out of the shell...that's just the instinct for survival, and is easily overcome.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:59 PM   #6
Skunky
Harald, do you find different species (?) of bloods to have different behaviour?

Old 01-16-2006, 11:59 PM   #7
Skunky
Or rather Bloods from different locations (?)

Old 01-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #8
monitorman85
if you plan on getting a blood i would get a nice cbb so you have more of a chance for it to be calm and tame compared to a wc unless you want to deal with a big nasty blood.i love my little blood im just worried that the bumps on its skin is something to be worried about cause i dont think it will come off with its shed although im hoping it will so make sure you check your blood or any snake for any type of parasite or anything out of the ordinary.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #9
hhmoore
Imagine all the trouble I could cause by saying that CB snakes are overrated, lol. Personally, if you can see the animal (or trust the seller), I wouldn't rule out the CH babies. The disclaimer above ("if you can see the animal") brings me to my next question. Why did you purchase that blood, since it had an obvious skin problem and it is a source of concern to you? I mean, if you knew what it was, and had the experience to deal with it (and got a great price) - fine. But that doesn't seem to be the case, and this is the second thread you have mentioned the problem in (not knocking you for being concerned, just curious why that didn't occur to you before you laid down the money)

Old 01-17-2006, 03:04 AM   #10
carole
Yeah, they're horrible as evident by this picture

It might look like he's being grumpy in the pic, but he was just crawling around trying to check everything out.
I really think it comes down to how much effort you put into taming the snake, and keeping consistent with the handling. I have a female CH blood that was worked to the point of becoming mellow...and then I just quit working with her. Now she's an extremely grumpy snake...she actually nailed me on the face once....but she's the only one i've ever been bitten by, and i've never been musked.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!