Help The Newbie - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-29-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
Rick007
Help The Newbie

Just recently got to the point where I can breed my gecko's. Some had to grow up a bit.
My biology classes are coming back to me (never thought I would use the genetics stuff).

From what I can gather there is;
Albino
Patternless
Blizzard
which are recessive genes. Giant as well but I am skeptical about that, seems like a line bred trait to me, but what do I know.

Co-Dominant Snow gene - too expenisive for me.....unless someone would like to donate one to me :scatter:

Then there are the line bred traits, SH, SHTCT, Snow and so on.

1. Albino X Patternless = Patternless Albino, Patternless, no black with Albino eyes. (I have been led to believe this is not an easy combination with trempers)

2. Albino X Blizzard = Blazing Blizzard , Blizzard with albino eyes.

3. Blizzard X Patternless = Banana Blizzard.

I realize you need to make hets and breed them back to accomplish recessive gene combinations and use punnet squares or straight probability will accomplish the same thing to figure out the odds of achieving what you set out to do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of genetics tells me line bred traits are not guaranteed, especially if one of the breeders does not carry the trait then you will end up with varying degrees of the trait. Even if both parents carry the trait it is not guaranteed but the odds of it coming out are much greater.

This leads me to what I am having the most trouble with, HYBINOS, SUNGLOWS or whatever ya want to call em. To me they are nothing more than orange albinos (expensive ones at that). From what I can gather you breed a SH or SHTCT or TT or whatever to an Albino. Breed the offsping back to each other or the Albino and there you have it, HYBINOS SUNGLOWS? Correct? Orange Albinos. So if this is correct, what makes them so expensive, you have combined a line bred trait and a recessive gene. This would seem to me to be easier than 2 or 3 recessive genes.

Just my thoughts.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:15 PM   #2
The NY Gecko
Not necessarily correct. Someone on here told me this awhile ago. I forget who it was. I asked the same question, both here and on herpportal. If you take an albino. Then breed it to a SHTCT/SHTCTB. you will have SHTCT/B het for albino. You then breed the babies back together and you have a 1 out of 4 chance for sunglow.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
Rick007
I loast my train o thought there, had someone talking to me and asking questions. I dont multi-task well.

I was on HQReptiles site and looking at the Red Stripe X Albinos and they looked like Albinos with a bit of colour. To me this would be the same as me crossing my albino and SH. Does this mean you would need to do some selective breeding to bring the line bred traits back into the Geckos?

What about a SHCT to a Patternless and ending up with an orange patternles, or an orange blizzard or are we going too far here.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
The NY Gecko
ive been thinking about a redstripeXblizzard. maybe someday ill try it. who knows. as far as patternless im pretty sure tis been done with SHTCT

Old 01-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
Shelley1063
Giant is also Co-dom, not recessive or linebred.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
groovygeckos
Hey, You are right about everything, except

Giants are Co-dom too

Red Stripes are Genetic and Linebred- The color being linebred, while the Striping is Genetic. Noone knows for sure if it is Co-dom, Dom, Recessive, etc. But it is not very likely to be recessive, even though it acts that way. You can breed a Stripe to a "Jungle" , "Reverse Stripe" , or "Patternless" (like an APTOR not 'leucistic' patternless)and they will all work together. Recessive traits only have one possible outcome, while Stripe/Jungle/Reverse Stripe/Patternless have the four possible outcomes, and will all work together. "Patternless" is the most recent to hit the market.

SHTCTs are also Genetic and Linebred- The Tangerine (and maybe the Carrottail part)being the linebred traits, while the Hypo part is actually Dominant or Co-dominant.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:42 AM   #7
USAGECKOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The NY Gecko
Not necessarily correct. Someone on here told me this awhile ago. I forget who it was. I asked the same question, both here and on herpportal. If you take an albino. Then breed it to a SHTCT/SHTCTB. you will have SHTCT/B het for albino. You then breed the babies back together and you have a 1 out of 4 chance for sunglow.

Why would you only get a 1 out of 4 chance? Can someone explain? I know the first babies from the breeding won't have a ton of Tang to them, but they still should be (To some Degree) Tang Albinos, and then by doing some line breeding (Picking the nicest Tang Albinos) and breeding them back to each will make them better Tang Albinos.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:01 PM   #8
g&mgeckos
Rick here is a link that may help answer some of your questions.

Genectics Guide

Old 01-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
groovygeckos
Jeanne, Het X Het = 1 in 4 being Homozygous. If the parents were both Super Hypos you should get 1 in 4 Hybino/Sunglow.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:15 AM   #10
USAGECKOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovygeckos
Jeanne, Het X Het = 1 in 4 being Homozygous. If the parents were both Super Hypos you should get 1 in 4 Hybino/Sunglow.
Thanks Dan, I actually figured it out last night, I forgot we were talking about het to het breeding. Boy do I feel silly now........

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!