Pressure Regulator for FB racks? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
PaulSage
Pressure Regulator for FB racks?

I was just wondering if anyone has used this and whether or not it was worthwhile. I'm assuming installing one would eliminate the need for me lifting a 5 gallon bucket of water up above my head and having to worry about whether or not the reservoir is empty. I do have a utility sink with an extra faucet that I could hook it to, and it's right next to the rodent rack.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
Bill & Amy
I personally don't know about the pressure regulators, but you can get a float valve at a local aquarium supply store or probably like a Tractor supply. Place it in your reservoir attached to a hose that connects to your faucet and it will shut off when your reservoir is full. If it is a 5 gallon bucket it would look something like the attached picture. Should be quite a bit cheaper also.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
PaulSage
Thanks Bill. I had thought of that and am familiar with the float valves (used to use them on fish vats and tanks). I've seen a few of them hang up though and start a flood. Also, I was hoping to have something a little smaller in diameter than a garden hose running to the rack, and ditch the bucket (just like the one you pictured) for good.

The regulator is about $55 on FB's website (here). I think those float valves cost about $22 at the farm store here, and for the convenience, I'd be willing to pony up the extra $30. That is... unless people have tried them and didn't like it.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
If you have a drinking valve get stuck you're still going to have a serious flood.
I've had valves get stuck on a few occasions and fill a given tray with water. If it's hooked to a constant source it's going to flood until you catch it.
Personally I would just hook a hose to the extra faucet and use it to fill the buckets. Then you don't have to lift the buckets, and you have a finite amount of water in the system.
I use semi-clear 3 gallon buckets though and can see how much water is in them without taking them down.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
I use semi-clear 3 gallon buckets though and can see how much water is in them without taking them down.
Clay, where did you find the semi-clear buckets at?

Old 03-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
Clay Davenport
At Lowe's in the paint section. They are usually tinted in a color, pink or blue or what have you, but you can still see through them.
They do not come with lids though, but there are other lids there with them that will fit the buckets, just not lock into place. I use those as a dust cover to keep bugs and debris from settling into the buckets.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #7
PaulSage
Quote:
If you have a drinking valve get stuck you're still going to have a serious flood.
I've had valves get stuck on a few occasions and fill a given tray with water. If it's hooked to a constant source it's going to flood until you catch it.
Personally I would just hook a hose to the extra faucet and use it to fill the buckets. Then you don't have to lift the buckets, and you have a finite amount of water in the system.
Very good points, Clay. Thanks. I think I'll try the clear(ish) bucket & hose method first. We don't have a Lowe's w/in 50 miles of here, but I'm thinking one of those huge jugs for the water-coolers would work well--especially since the opening at the top would be easy to cover.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
I'm thinking one of those huge jugs for the water-coolers would work well--especially since the opening at the top would be easy to cover.
Very good idea!! I have a couple of these I just might have to try!!

Old 03-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #9
Clay Davenport
How do you hook the watering system to the supply bucket?
If you use the tank connectors that I use, where you drill an 11/16" hole in the bucket, then you won't be able to get the nut on the back of the valve using one of the water jugs since the nut goes inside the bucket.

Wal-mart might have the same type buckets. They're just a cheap bucket to use with painting. I think they run 4 or 5 dollars.
You can also construct a sight tube using poly tubing for use with the reguar white 5 gallon buckets, but it would probably just be easier to make the trip to lowes rather than put that effort into a sight tube.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #10
PaulSage
Quote:
How do you hook the watering system to the supply bucket?
lol Good question. I'll have to mess around with one and see what I come up with. I'm sure there must be a way!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!