Teaching the 'come to me' command? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
Lucille
Teaching the 'come to me' command?

The new dog is skittish and will not come when I call. Last night there was an elaborate capture when he would not come indoors (or rather he did but when I went toward him he ran outside again).
Having heard that the worst thing one can do is go after a dog, I just busied myself in the kitchen and put a treat on a plate on the floor, it took about a minute but I got him.
This morning he went outdoors on a extendable leash and he is not going off it outdoors even in the back yard until I am confident that he will come to me on my command. There are just too many things that can happen.
Any suggestions on how to teach an adult dog this command? My other 2 dogs race to me when I call, but it was a natural process rather than any specific teaching in their case.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
Cat_72
Keeping him on a leash is a good start....and treats work wonders, lol. I start by just walking around with them, then as you are walking, quickly stop and step backwards a few steps, while saying in a very happy voice, "Fido, come!" Bring him to you gently with the lead, and praise him like crazy when he follows, and give a treat. Until he gets the idea, always do it while he is on a leash, so you can "bring him to you"....and lots and lots of happy praise (and yummy treats) are the key. I always make sure to say their name right before the command (whether it be come, sit, fetch) to get make sure to get their attention. Keep doing it with a greater and greater distance between him and you.

I hope that made sense......it's a LOT easier to SHOW than to type. LOL.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
Lucille
Yes it makes sense thanks!!
I suppose I will have to decide on his name before I get home today so I can begin calling him by name. I am not fond of the name he has had for 2 weeks and want to change it. Maybe I should do a poll?

Old 03-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
PaulSage
It sounds like he's still nervous and needs to develop a sense of trust with you first. I think that just takes time and patience. But, after he knows that he can trust you and he becomes more comfortable in his new home, then I think what Cathy said should work well. I favor praise over treats as a reward because I think it helps create that "bond". Also, I worry about bad table manners developing if he's taught to come to you whenever you have food ("treats" to him). But that's just me.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
Cat_72
LOL Paul, mine all get treats every time they come inside from going potty.....or do something cute.....they are awfully spoiled though. They are taught to stay back from the table (or wherever I am eating) and look at me pitifully from a distance as well, though! You are very right about the trust issue Paul....it will definitely take time.

I think a "Name Lucille's Doggie" would be a fun poll!! I have a hard time choosing names unless I know the animal personally, their personality usually makes a name "come to me", lol....but he has such a personality just in his face!

Old 03-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
Yes it makes sense thanks!!
I suppose I will have to decide on his name before I get home today so I can begin calling him by name. I am not fond of the name he has had for 2 weeks and want to change it. Maybe I should do a poll?
I think he looks like a Chester, since he's that chestnut color and all.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:37 AM   #7
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I think a "Name Lucille's Doggie" would be a fun poll!! I have a hard time choosing names unless I know the animal personally, their personality usually makes a name "come to me", lol....but he has such a personality just in his face!
That's how they get nicknames, too. lol When she was just a puppy, Jersey used to be able to climb a chain link fence--no joke. One foot at a time, she would scale her way to the top. ...so she also answers to "Monkey Butt".

Old 03-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
That's how they get nicknames, too. lol When she was just a puppy, Jersey used to be able to climb a chain link fence--no joke. One foot at a time, she would scale her way to the top. ...so she also answers to "Monkey Butt".

My Chinese Crested answers to "Fuzzbutt". LOL.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:59 AM   #9
Lucille
Elroy is definitely showing improvement. I have been rewarding him with little snacks when he comes to me as well as fussing over and petting him. While he still does not come on command off leash, he no longer runs away but lets me come to him and is obviously enjoying the attention he is receiving.
Both I and the original finder who found him starving on a road noticed that he cowered at first when one tried to pet him, so maybe he just needs to develop some confidence that he is not going to be hit, and then he will come when called.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
Cat_72
Awww, that's great, Lucille! He sounds like a very smart boy!! Lucky guy, he appears to have gotten looks AND brains!! Not to mention finding one of the most excellent "moms" he could have had the good fortune to find!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!