can severe dyhydration cause seizure/RI like symptoms? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-31-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
cornchips
can severe dyhydration cause seizure/RI like symptoms?

The whole story..I went on vacation the last week of dec and had someone watching my animals.Well "somehow" my bp got away..Two days ago my son saw his head poking out of this hole in the wall..We dismantled it and got him out..Its been 3mnths and he is severely dehydrated,lost wieght and lethargic .I put him right away in a sink of warm water and he went nuts, writhing around like he was confused with his mouth gaping like he couldnt breathe, I thought he was dying...The water was not too hot, just barely warm so I know it wasnt that.....Anyway I put him in a warm tank(88 degrees) and left him alone overnight..Yesterday he gaped a bit and his head was still wobbly but not as much.He was soaking himself, he hasnt come out of the water yet but today he has no more gaping and no mucus or bubbles(he never had mucus or bubbling or wheezing)...What do you all think could all those symptoms be from dehydration or do you think he has the beginnings of an RI?

Old 03-31-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
Junkyard
The best course of action would be to see a vet, these can be symptoms or he was confused. I think it was the whole mixture of dehydration, not eating, being cold and then put into warm water probably made him go a bit crazy. Do you know how warm the water was? It may have been too warm, just barely warm to you could be 90 degrees.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
hhmoore
my initial guess is that it was the shock of going from his cool wall hiding spot into too warm water (if it feels warm to you, it is too warm). Even if it was only 90 degree water, it is likely that it caused a drastic change in body temperature (guessing that he was 60-65 degrees when he was pulled out of the wall.) Low temps for extended periods will certainly cause respiratory problems...but a gradual warming is much better for the animal.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
hhmoore
looks like you were finishing while I was starting, Michael.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
cornchips
Wow, I never even thought of that..He was pretty cold when I took him out of the wall..I contacted a vet the same day but she doesnt know alot about reptiles so she called someone and then told me to wait a day and see..

Old 03-31-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
Junkyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
looks like you were finishing while I was starting, Michael.
Great minds think alike!

I use a temperature gun to check my water temps and the snake before I place them in. The first time I ever checked the temperature of cool water it really surprised me that it was 86 degrees. I otherwise would have figured it was in the mid 70's. Once again, $25 well spent.

Old 04-01-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
cornchips
I have a temp gun just didnt think about using it to check warm water..I will from now on though.My bp is still soaking in his tank and is looking better, more filled out.Before, his eyes even looked kinda sunken and dry, now they look normal and he doesnt seem to have any RI symptoms now either...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!