Suspicious Behavior - Indication of Parasites? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-10-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
tanias16
Suspicious Behavior - Indication of Parasites?

Hey Kids,

I'm back again with yet another post...
I noticed again today that my female gecko was licking beneath her tail (genital region). I'm not sure if this is a sign of parasites and whether or not I should be concerned. Is this normal gecko behavior?

Thank you

Tania

PS If you haven't read one of my other posts, she is somewhere between 4 - 6 years old, I rescued her, and she went from 35 g to 72 g now. She lives in a 20 G aquarium, hot side is from 88 - 92 degrees. She has one humid hide in between the hot and cool side of her cage. She has two other dry hides one on each side. She was housed with a male but they have been seperated since October. They had parasites when I got them.. oxyurids (sp).. and went out medication for several weeks to get rid of them.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
tanias16
Ok, I just saw her doing it AGAIN. I'm pretty sure she just ate her own urates straight from the source. This can't be good...

Old 05-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
tanias16
Someone ? Anyone ?

Old 05-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
www.leogeckos.com
Ive seen my female do that behavior also. I thought it might have been mites. But I used Mite-Away and it did not really help. Although mine does not eat her urate. I do not have any idea if this behavior has any correlation to parasites. Ive dewormed her and she still does lick herself down there. Maybe shes just cleaning ??

Old 05-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
Mari
I have seen both my males and my females do this, often times just after or before they go to the bathroom....sounds a bit gross, but sometimes they just have something stuck down there or are having trouble pooping and it usually helps. If you notice this excessively, then you might have a problem. If its once or twice, and not on a daily basis, you should be ok.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
A_Kendergirl
Yep, it's pretty much like a dog cleaning down there. Every now and then is ok, but if it's all the time, she may have something else going on.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #7
tanias16
Well I saw her do it twice on Wednesday, and once yesterday...
I don't know what is up with these guys. It seems like just as soon as they get over one thing, it is something else. With everything else that is going on, it is just getting to be far too stressful

Do you think I need to take her in, or just get a fecal done, or what?

PS My dog cleans himself on a daily basis, lol. I don't know what excessively really means for a gecko.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #8
tanias16
Ok so I am back. Last night Gilbey ate for the first time in the last few days... 2 super worms.
About five minutes later I caught her standing, open mouth. She promptly puked up 2 superworms.
I am under alot of stress right now (getting layed off this week) and could REALLY REALLY REALLY use some help me.
I feel so defeated with these guys, like we go from one thing to another, and find myself considering the idea of giving them up simply because I feel like I'm losing my mind. I'm trying so hard and yet here we are again.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:00 PM   #9
Mari
Don't give up ....You have really done a great job with them... I understand that you are under a lot of stress but I think you will be able to pull through, and pull them through as well. Do they normally eat supers? could it have been something other than parasites? this is regurgitation, if I'm not mistaken, and not vomiting, since she did this immediately after she ate them. I believe regurgitation is not always an indicative of parasites...I have had a few regurgitate butters because they mistakenly thought they were waxies, and then they didn't like the taste so out they went. I would get another fecal done, and see what goes on from there. Also, try giving her a different feeder and see what happens...you never know. Please don't give up!

Old 05-16-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
tanias16
Thanks for the encouragement Mari, its just really hard right now
She always eats supers. She used to eat mealies in Oct when I got her, but I started offering her supers and she loved them... hasn't eaten a mealie since (and I have offered them).
I'm not sure how I am going to get a fecal if she wont keep anything down... and thus will have no fecal. I'm almost afraid to try and feed them to her again, the whole regurgitation process of 2 undigested superworms seems really unpleasant. I am going to have to take my dragon to the vet soon, and I find myself in yet again the same position of having more than one sick animal, and not the financial means to take them both to the vet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!