When to worry? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-31-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
mmitstif
When to worry?

O.K.,now I'm worried.My leuc. blackrat had layed one egg on 5-30 and nothing since.She still has eggs in her and does not seem to even try to deliver them.No "wringing" or "writhing".It's the 16th day past pre-lay shed.Has anyone ever had a female go this far past P.L.S.?
All other snakes that Iv'e bred usually drop around day 10-12 past P.L.S.
Should I try to manually manipulate the eggs?Or should I not worry so much and let nature take it's course and hope she drops soon?
The one egg she layed is very long and pointed on one end,but looks good overall.I will candle it in a few days.
Any replys would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

Old 05-31-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
norsmis
Hey Michael I am going through the same thing with a corn snake. She laid 1 egg May 27, 14 eggs on May 29 and she still has at least 5 eggs in her. I think I might get these out tomorrow morning if they arent out. I am getting worried too.....

Old 06-03-2006, 06:40 AM   #3
norsmis
Hey Michael, how is she doing?

Old 06-03-2006, 08:21 AM   #4
mmitstif
Good news here....

All eggs are out.6 total.Here's the break down,1 egg layed on 5-29,3 eggs layed on 5-31,1 egg layed on 5-1,and 1 egg layed this A.M.5-3.Quite a span of activity.
3 eggs are of normal size and slightly off white(I think stained from the sphagnum) and 3 eggs are HUGE and very white.
After the 3 eggs where layed on 5-31,I was manually manipulating the remaining eggs down towards the ovaduct with my thumb.It seemed to work as I think she was exausted from trying to deliver.Each time I did this,she would drop one soon after.
I learned that sometime you have to step in and give mother nature a helping hand.My snake seemed to appreciate it too!Also after each egg dropped,I would hold the water bowl up to her and she would take a long drink and return to the laying box.What a trooper!
I am very releived that it all worked out good.I now have the laying box in with my quad. het female corn who is due to drop in a few days.She normally does not have a problem delivering eggs.
Now the 2 month wait to see my baby leusistic blacks.
Ron,how are you making out with that corn girl of yours?I wish you luck and keep us updated.
P.S.,I would post some pics,but I have used up my pic posting abilitys here.
Drop me your e.mail addy,and I will send one.
Mike

Old 06-03-2006, 08:28 AM   #5
norsmis
Well she is still pushing eggs out. She has laid 18 so far and I am going push the other 3 or 4 remaining eggs out now. She laid a lot of duds this year, 8 so far. She is getting up there in years so I think this will be her last year breeding. Poor girl usually throws 50 eggs a year like a pro but I think its getting to be too much on her. She will just be my friendly pet from here on out.
Congrats on getting those eggs out!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!