Precautions For Upcomming Hurricanes?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-12-2006, 10:58 PM   #1
Robust_Beardies
Arrow Precautions For Upcomming Hurricanes??

We live in South Florida, which is always hit by hurricanes, and were wondering what kind of precautions can we instill to keep our outside dwelling dragons safe? We have glass aquariums and some reptariums to keep them in inside when the outside conditions become too severe. Will the drop in pressure effect our dragons? We know that we have to add extra water to our surplus in case the water becomes unusable like last year. We want to make sure everyone has everything they need and are taken care of. Does anyone have any other suggestions or tips to help us through this hurricane season? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:18 PM   #2
Rebel Dragons
I lived in Florida for 13 years and know what hurricane season can be like. While I don't think the pressure would effect them I don't know for sure...... As far as precautions, if a hurricane was immanent I would remove the dragons from the glass aquariums and reptariums. Place them in pillow cases and then put them in heavy duty tupperware 10 gal totes. They should be fine in them until the storm passes. Of course I would only do that if I felt the enclosures were in danger of being broken.

If evacuation was called for be sure to go to an evacuation center or hotel that allows animals. (Research that now for future reference.) I would pack them up the same way and hit the road. If you want to pack up a dragon "hurricane kit", I would have canned crickets, beardie pellets and water in it. Also, if you have some mealies you can bring those along too. Add some heat lamps w/clamps, light bulbs and a spray bottle. You can clamp the lamps on the sides of the totes and your good to go on heat.

In a dire situation, adult dragons can go weeks without food and water. Younger dragons can go quite awhile but not as long. You really shouldn't worry about them starving or thirsting to death.

Another great tip to do in advance is to arrange somewhere you can ship them before a major hurricane hits. With the notice that we have these days it would give you plenty of time to pack them up and overnight them somewhere.

I hope that helps some and you can understand what I'm saying.....Lol

Good luck,

Old 06-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #3
varnyard
That’s great advice Mike!! I would also like to add, to much moisture could be a problem as well. They could contract a upper respiratory infection. Beardies can not take a lot of moisture. So, days of endless rain could pose a problem as well.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
Rebel Dragons
Excellent point, Bobby. To reduce the amount of moisture you could simply place paper towels in the bottoms of the bins to absorb the extra moisture. Changing them often will keep the moisture down and make it easier to clean the tubs too!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!