w/c kings - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
atm4747
w/c kings

i have a couple of questions how does every one feel about wild caught king snakes? Second question can you breed wild caughts with captive breed? thanks for all the replies in advanced

Old 06-21-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
aliceinwl
I have no problems with wild caught kings as long as they are legally acquired and the person is prepared. Preparedness is especially important if the wild caught is a species that doesn't readily accept mice or is already an adult and not used to confinement. As long as you're talking about the same species, wild caughts can easily be bred with captive bred animals.

-Alice

Old 06-21-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
atm4747
my husband has his fishing liscense and that allows him to catch them i believe its 2 a night and im in the process of getting my permit so i can breed and sell them

Old 06-22-2006, 01:27 AM   #4
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by atm4747
my husband has his fishing liscense and that allows him to catch them i believe its 2 a night and im in the process of getting my permit so i can breed and sell them
The limit is 4 (wild caught) total IN YOUR POSSESION. Yes you can breed wild caught with captive bred, and sell them (the captive born only, even with the permit you can not sell the wild caught ones) as long as you have the CA native reptile breeders permit, which I assume is the permit you mention you are getting. Most people though don't mess with it [catching wild caught ones], because of the associated problems that can come from having wild caught. I haven't kept any wild caught snakes in years. Just don't want them around my collection. I myself stopped breeding native snakes, as the hastle of the permit; Immaculate record keeping to prove you are selling only captive bred, inspections, you give CA F&G permission to enter the facility at any time, which if it's your own house is just something I don't want to deal with, especially just to breed snakes that go for only about $25 bucks. Plus there are some new regulations being debated in the CA legislature that would make it even worse of a hastle, more stringent requirements, larger cage requirements, and even possibly the banning of being able to sell native species at all.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
DAND
The only upside I would see in breeding WC with captive is the addition of fresh blood. The hoops one would have to jump through there in CA would not be worth while I would think though.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
tandy4000
I am personally against keeping w/c snakes, or reptiles of any sort. When you can buy one from any respectable breeder for a fair price, i see no reason to take a wild animal. The only exception would be to bring in new blood for breeding, otherwise, it is wrong.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
old guy
has this same thread been

on here before or am I thinking of ALL reptile web-sites of repetitiveness of threads on other web-sites ? Knowing far well of how this whole hobby and industry started with my years of in, this debate will go on and on as the debate of hybridizing will go on and on. There has been no scientific proof or other wise that wild collecting of reptile species is the lone factor of EVER diminishing or jeopardizing populations. WE all know that habitat destruction is and has been the most determining factor of such on reptiles. Now other animal species also fall into this but then we have had sport shooting and trophy hunting for other animal species that decimated or almost. Oops...add the American Alligator and American Crocodile I guess to this . It is clearly a matter of morals and conviction about wild collecting plain and simple ! Either you see a point to it, like it, don't like it, agree or not agree, etc. .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!