Average Digestion Time? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-17-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
j334
Average Digestion Time?

I'm just wondering what is the average digestion time for a ball python. My snake ate 2 weeks ago and nothing has come out yet. I fed him another mouse a couple days ago. I don't think I will feed him again until something comes out.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
markface
it varies from snake to snake and also from feeding to feeding . sometimes they will seem to be storing it up for a special occasion . 3 or 4 weeks is not unusual , but i'd say maybe 2 weeks on average . you could try soaking your critter in luke warm water ( approx 86 to 90 degrees ) for 15 to 30 minutes . sometimes a good soak will "loosen up" things .

Old 07-18-2006, 12:40 AM   #3
j334
Thanx markface... I was just starting to worry that he had become impacted. I think I will wait 5 more days; if nothing happens then I'll take him to the vet.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:15 AM   #4
hhmoore
How old is the snake? I have a number of 05 BPs, and most of them only defecate every 3-4 weeks (usually after 2-3 feedings). The same is true of many boids, particularly the more heavy bodied ones. If your snake doesn't defecate within a week or so of the 3rd feeding, soak it (as previously recommended). I actually soak most of my snakes on a semi regular basis - the only ones I don't soak are the ones that clearly get freaked out by being in water. Depending on the size of the snake, and the container, you only need 0.5 - 2 inches of water. The water should feel slightly cool (not cold) to the touch...I say it that not to disagree with Mark, but because most people's idea of lukewarm is actually warmer than necessary (if you aren't sure, check the temperature!! )

Old 07-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #5
markface
your right harrald , i should have mentioned that if it feels warm to a human it will feel scalding to a snake . i usually just quote temps and recommend using a thermometer to check water temp before soaking . generalrule of thumb i use is to have the water deep enough to cover about half the body of the snake (ie if the snakes back is 2 inches above the floor then 1 inch of water ) .

Old 07-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
j334
He is an 05 BP. Ive had him for about a month,he defecated the second day I had him. He currently has two mice in his system and I am kind of reluctant to give him a third until he has "fully digested" the previous one. I feed him every Saturday so if nothing happens I will do as you suggested and soak him. Thanx alot for your inputs.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:25 AM   #7
Leighanne
Their not trying to be pushy. Their trying to save you money! Its not that big a deal just yet, and you should try soaking him first. It works most of the time.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
rabernet
I wouldn't be too concerned, honestly. They poop when they're ready to poop - sometimes on you

I've got four '06 girls I've had about a month, and now four meals in them. Only one has pooped, the others have had urates, and no one is really bulging in the nether regions yet. I still plan to offer food every Tuesday.

If nothing else, ball pythons are great at teaching you patience!

Old 07-19-2006, 03:55 PM   #9
j334
Leighanne you -Their not trying to be pushy. Their trying to save you money! Its not that big a deal just yet, and you should try soaking him first. It works most of the time.

I never implied that they were being pushy. I appreciated the inputs. The reason I asked the question was to get inputs. Mark and hhmoore I apologize if I came off wrong. I wasn't tryin to imply that you were being pushy. I really do thank you for your inputs.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
markface
i never got the impression you thought we were being pushy . no apology needed .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!