Popping Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-17-2006, 05:14 AM   #1
Leighanne
Popping Questions

Hello,

A few questions. I bought Jakers March 13th, and he is about a foot and a half now. I also went to Kathy Loves website and watched the video on popping. Is my Jakers to old or big to be popped? I was also wondering since Jakers is my first Snake, and I've never popped before if I tried would I hurt him? Is there any chance I could hurt him? Like his hempinenes not going back in or something. I do believe I am smart enough, and would be gentle enough 100%. I also saw probing and that is NEVER happening to my baby. I knew it sounded awful but GOD! It looked even worse! Not unless its detrimenal to his health to know or I ever want to breed him. If I can't pop him though I'd rather not know. I have fuzzies that have been in the freezer for 2 months. Is that to long?? How do you tell if it has freezer burn?? Thanks for your feedback!!

Old 08-17-2006, 05:26 AM   #2
DAND
He/she may be too big to pop. It would be best to have some hands on training before going solo. You could cause injury if it is done wrong. Same to be said about probing. Sometimes you can determine the sex by looking at the tail, but it is not 100%.

Two months should be okay for the fuzzies. If there is white looking splotches on them (may be hard to determine with haired items) it would be freezer burn. How were they packed?

Old 08-17-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
TripleMoonsExotic
David gave you some very solid advice on the popping question. I would never recommend it to someone without experience. Contact your local herp society and maybe they can get you in contact with someone that can do it for you or show you how to safely do it yourself.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Leighanne
Ok, well I'm not going to take any chances. I don't want to hurt my own baby and have it on my conscious. I still don't ever want Jakers probed! I do believe though that if I was to be at a Cleveland show and Dand was there and showed me it would only take a couple times and I could defiantly do it. Kathy Love made it look easy. How do I find my local herp society?? I don't think we have one. Dand you live close by, do we have one?? You guys are my herp society for everything! I'm the only one I know of in town with as much reptile experience and owning as many as I do. There are a few scattered people who have had Green Anoles or a Ball Python or two, most of their pets have died or their knowledge just plain sucks, or their not that interested in talking about their animals unless its cats or dogs. BORING!!!! I did have a customer where I work tell me he used to breed but wasn't saying lets hook up and talk some time. Thats it for me, Fauna. Heck I've even been trying to find Vets like crazy. I called every single one in the phone book and like 85% said sorry, we don't take exotics. All the exotic vets are so far away to. Like I'm going to be able to get my friends to drive even an hour away. One place referred me to the Akron ZOO! I had NO clue their was a Vets office in the zoo. As for the fuzzies they were packaged individually, and then put in a container. They are Artic Mice fuzzies. Thanxs

Old 08-17-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
DAND
I know there is a herp society in Toledo and one in Cleveland but I'm not sure if there is one further south by you. One of these days I'll have to swing down that way and when I do I will give you a heads up before I come down.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!