What's the proper way to " tame " a water? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-26-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
TreyB
What's the proper way to " tame " a water?

Ok, I have been all over about this question and had alot of mixed opinions. What is the right way to make a water monitor handleable? Some people say to be patient and not force handle and others say being patient will never work with a water because of them being so shy. I want to do it the correct way but I don't know what that is. I have had my water 2 weeks and haven't tried to touch him but everytime he sees me he runs and hides so at this rate I don't see him ever just staying out. Some help please, Thanks

Old 08-26-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
Junkyard
You are in a bit of a pickle here, never handling him will not tame him down. Do you feed inside the cage or outside the cage? Feeding him outside the cage means you have to pick him up twice a day; to take him to his food, then to take him back to his cage. This is something Bobby taught me with my tegu, no matter how upset my tegu is, it needs to be handled to be fed.

When picking up the monitor, set your hand under the substrate so he is on top of your hand when you pick him up. Do not grab him, at this point you are nothing more then a large predator wanting to eat him. You can cup your hands over him like a cave without grabbing, that way he does not think he will be squeezed to death. When he is in your hands use a gentle touch, walk him from hand to hand, this will help him settle down a bit. Always try to return the monitor back to it's cage when it is in a calm happy mood, this way it will know that when it was out, it did not need to run and hide, his fear will slowly disappear.

When handling the monitor, allow it time to walk on the ground(my case the bed), when picking up, slide your hand underneath him so he ends up walking onto your hand, if he jumps out of your hands, slide your hand under him again so he ends up walking on it. After doing this for 10 minutes the first time I had my tegu, it settled down fairly quickly. He is still a bit flighty, but when out of the cage and near me, it does not run and hide, I can now let it walk around on the bed and pick it up when it walks onto my hands and it is not scared.

Hopefully others who own water monitors will be able to add more insight and help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!