columbian tegu not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-29-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
chickenman
Unhappy columbian tegu not eating

i have a columbian tegu , about a year old not eating. i have offered EVERYTHING they are allowed to eat, it is day seven and he still refuses, what the heck do i do, dont wanna lose em

Old 12-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
When was the last time he ate? Is the temperature in the enclosure OK?

Regards.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
varnyard
I explained to you Isaac that the Colombian tegus are most often imports. They can and do have parasites when captured from the wild. This would be my guess, a trip to a good herp vet would be very wise.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
Sweeney's Serpents
If it is an import, the stress of it's journey north will cause bacteria load and parasites to increase. I'm not sure about Colombians but my Argentine B/W Tegu always slows it's eating habits this time of the year. I guess the lower house temp and light cycle puts them into a state of dormancy. In the spring it will eat everything you throw at it. You can e-mail me or call and we can see what we can do to help your Tegu.

Scott Sweeney / Sweeney's Serpents
sweeneys_serpents@yahoo.com
850-415-1636
Chipley, Florida........................................... ......

Old 12-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
chickenman
thing is, i have had him for a year and hes tame,loving and been doing fine, hes also been checked for parasites.he used to eat everything i gave him. do yall think it could be from to much raw egg, because i have given him alot of that since thats all he would except. hes also been bloated in the gut for a while and has not eaten in a week, he still wont accept food

Old 12-30-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
The BoidSmith
It would be better not to offer food for a while if he is bloated. Have plenty of fresh water available. In the past I've used a multi-vitamin complex added to the water. You can use the one that's sold for birds in Petsmart or Petco; the dosage is the same as for them. You may also want to give him a bath in lukewarm water every other day.

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2006, 10:21 PM   #7
varnyard
What have you been feeding?

Old 12-31-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
chickenman
we havent been able to go get rats for a while so mainly raw eggs, and i know that was foolish of me to do so.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:34 PM   #9
chickenman
he ate a little ground turkey today

Old 12-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #10
varnyard
Thats great news Isaac, but it might be best to hold back food from him. If he is bloated it would be best to wait on feeding until he is acting and looking more normal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!