agression - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-10-2007, 01:32 AM   #1
breakdown
agression

I think etb's and gtp's are some of the coolest snakes on earth i'm seriously considering getting one or possibly a jungle carpet python. the only problem is ive heard all of these snakes are quite agressive and quick to bite. I dont care to much about being bitten, it comes with the territory, but my girlfriend doesnt want agressive snakes, so which is the best choice and can they be tamed? also whats the average size of each of these snakes as adults?

Old 03-10-2007, 02:23 AM   #2
ravensgait
I wouldn't call them aggressive they don't chase after you or anything like that . They will bite though and for their size they have bigger teeth. Nor do all of them bite,, Basin emeralds tend to be pretty easy going as do some Northern Emeralds. Some Chondro locals are noted for being more even tempered such as Aru's, Kafiau's Meraukes and others. The thing is Arboreal snakes for the most part are not touchy feely animals they are nice because the are out where they can been seen almost all the time but most don't play well with other IE us lol.

Now Carpet pythons can be nippy youngsters but most are pretty decent when adults though I've known a few who didn't want to be messed with..

Size-- carpets depending on what kind can get large up to 10 feet plus though on average they are 5 to 7 feet and bigger built than the others.. Basins can get up to about 7 feet, northerns a bit less. Chondro's are on average the smallest of the lot.

As for taming well some say yes some no. I think that if you want an animal to play with you might want something else but if you want a eye catching critter that is out there to be seen then one of these guys will do.. Randy

Old 03-10-2007, 03:32 AM   #3
Corpsefire
I recently purchased a baby Irian jaya/ west papuan carpet python and so far it has been an incredible pet. Snakes in general tend to be more nippy as babies and of the lot my carpet was the only one who had bitten anyone. however, with common sense and a little experience you can for the most part avoid putting your pet in a situation where it strikes/bites.

You just have to understand that these animals have very strong instincts and are simply predisposed to strike at warm moving things. Though I dont have personal experience with Corallus or Chondros I think with some research and TLC either one would be a great choice. Oh yeah, I have yet to see a single shred of aggression from my little Carpet. Great pet =)

Old 03-10-2007, 03:50 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
There's a big difference between a snake that tends to bite and actual aggression.
Aggression can be defined as willingness to bite unprovoked. Very few snakes can actually be called aggressive. Some species, arboreal ones in particular, are much more defensive than others, but nearly always you have to actually do something, whether you mean to or not, to provoke a bite. What that means is whether you are bitten or not is usually up to you and how you act around the snake.

That being said, asking whether a chondro can be tamed isn't the right question. The question is, is it in the best interests of the snake to attempt to tame it? What will the snake benefit by being handled?
Chondros and ETBs are generally regarded as display animals, not pets to physically interact with on any regular basis.
There are some of both species which tolerate handling quite well, but the general rule is they do not.
I treat these as I do venomous, in that I handle them only when circumstances require it, otherwise they are never bothered.
They are beautiful display specimens, and fascinating snakes to keep, but they need to be kept for what they are. If regular handling is something you desire from a snake, then another species would be a far better choice for both you and the snake.

Carpet pythons are an in between group. They are not as tolerant of handling as many pythons are, but they are not as touchy as a chondro either. I still do not handle my carpet pythons with any regularity, but they would be more accepting of that behavior than the others.
The irian jayas tame down nicely, jungles can go either way but even the ones who prefer not to be held will usually opt to reserve biting as more of a last resort.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Tim Cole
It's easy....

Do cage maintenance during the day and feed at night. Use loooong feeding forceps! They are worth it! I have Chondros & Emeralds and they are great. I actually have a Biak Chondro I use in my Educational Talks. You don't have to handle them to enjoy them! Thank goodness since 3/4 of my collection is HOT! LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MaleGreentree .jpg (39.1 KB, 71 views)

Old 03-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
breakdown
thanks alot for the advice, i think they would be great as display animals and i'm fine with that, i already have a tame bci and a ball that i can handle regularly so handling isnt a huge deal for me.my girlfriend thinks all the fun in owning snakes is handling them which is fun but i enjoy watching and feeding just as much and i'm looking for a bit more of a challenge. the trick will be convincing her to allow a snake in the house that will likely bite if we put it in a position where it feels it has to. My girlfriend was actually terrified of snakes when we got the ball but she loves them now and handles them on her own no problem, maybe if she knows a chondros won't get much longer than a ball it might make her give in cause she didnt want the bci either (the prospect of a 9 foot snake in the house is a little unsettling to her still) but she likes her now. i'll just get her another ball first to take care of and i'll probably get my way.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
The Nothing
it's really kinda hit and miss
we've all heard the horror stories
but, every ETB i've ever come across have been great handlers
at least, during daytime hours
i use mine for outreach programs, and has been handled by hundreds - including very young kids

but, when the lights go out, its a different story

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!