Gecko Weights!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
Leighanne
Gecko Weights!!

I FINALLY got the Scale today!! So we will start with MY two personally owned Geckos. My first Gecko ever Gex which I visably thought was obese is 75 grams. He is full grown. Squee my female which is a bigger Juvie we bought as a baby last Dec. 5th is now 55 grams, not quit full grown yet though. I'm new to this all and don't know what the healthy weights (in numbers) are for Adults and babies and so on and so forth. I've been doing this all by eye for the last year so you'll have to excuse me.

Rescues next! No Toes is 60 grams.
Fiesty girl is 55 grams.
Emaciated boy was 45 grams when he went to the Vet and is now 55 grams.
Bad eye sight girl ( just ate the pinkie) is 55 grams. She hasn't poohed from that pinkie yet. Ok, those were all my Adult Rescues.

Juvie Rescues. Jungle MBD Boy is 35 grams.
Spotted MBD girl is 30 grams. She has a cage mate which is the same age but smaller and I'm guessing to small to ship.
Jungle MBD girl (smaller one) is 25 grams.

I have had them for a couple months and can visibly tell they look MUCH better. I need to know if these weights are ok for shipping? I am guessing though that since it was still Winter when I picked them up and since they were kept with no heat they went into Brumation. So if he DID ever throw a few Meal Worms in over Winter they might not of wanted them. I was unaware at that time that they were in Brumation (at least Adults) and put them on heat as soon as I got home. I'm not sure if that was good or bad? ANY info you can provide is GREATLY appreciated!

Old 04-28-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
garweft
IMHO proper weight for a leo is still best determined by looks and not by weight. Just like in people, there are things other than just weight that are used to determine if someone is obese or not. For example, what would be the ideal weight for a human?..... 150?..... 180?..... Well, it depends on other things such as height, sex, etc.. Just like in people not all leos are the same length, so there is no one ideal weight.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:58 PM   #3
Leighanne
I get what your saying but that doesn't help a lot in me knowing if they are up in weight enough to ship. So I just have to "judge" with my eyes if they can be shipped or not?

Old 04-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
garweft
They all seem more than large enough to ship. Based on your discription of age and the weights listed, I would say that they are well within the range of healty weight.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:11 AM   #5
Leighanne
See but judging by eye I would say the smaller MBD girl needs to be chunked up more. An I suppose THATS what your talking about. She looks and acts a bit fragile. Shes my smallest one.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:08 AM   #6
Cat_72
Kristin, judging by the description you gave of them when you first got them, and the weights and descriptions now, it sounds like you have done a wonderful job getting them back to health.

Good job, girl.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!