• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

A quick question bout breeding

Moorer_robert

Robert Moorer Reptiles
Joined
Jun 17, 2012
Messages
127
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Moncks corner south Carolina
I am new to the ball python breeding or breeding at all could any one maybe help me answer this question how long after copulation(5-6 good locks or 10) could I expect to see eggs if ovulation is missed thanks I would appreciate any help I can get
 
I pair till I see a lock then male rests 3 to 5 days then back in. I do this until my female refuses him and food or I def see an ovulation. I missed most of my females ovys this last season but I saw her building so then I knew for sure she had something going on
 
it tends to be more a case of the male just no longer showing interest in the female. but yeah if the male isnt being overworked then by all means continue pairing if you continue to witness copulations.
 
I got two females and two males and pair for 3 days rest for 3 days that should be fine right? I hope I'm not over working him he is actually in she'd right now one is gonna have a few days off til he sheds and they have both eating also and I have witnessed at least 10 locks each so far
 
Learning the basic timeline will help you follow where they are in the breeding process.
This is a good basic timeline...http://www.ballpython.ca/gallery/breeding.html

Then learning to palpate, once you learn to palpate and feel follicle size then you'll be able to have a better clue what she's doing.

3 days in with a male is fine if there's something going on, but if a female sits on the male and he's small I pull him. and try again in a few days to a week.
If a female sits on a bigger male I give him the day to take control, if he doesn't he gets pulled for a few days to a week.
 
Well they are def locking up and I've seen a lock last 12 hrs with them already one female I wrapped around the water bowl on cool side of tub and I had male in with her for 3 days this last time and seen no locks but the other female is on the heat and they locked up the second day that he was in with her mojave x normal and a spider x normal and locked on 3rd day after they broke loose I set him back in his tub
 
if you have a scale its a good idea to monitor the males weight, if hes losing to much/to fast, may need to be rested for a little longer period and try to get a meal in him ect.
 
Back
Top