• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Aint she purty?

akonitony

Karma Ho
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
395
Reaction score
41
Points
0
Location
High Springs, Florida 32643
Here is my newest acquisition, a beauty of a Suriname YTC from none other than Brian Sharp. This is not your typical YTC.
 

Attachments

  • 03ytfemale.jpg
    03ytfemale.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Thank you. She is worth every penny. I also bought two long-term captive male Paraguay YTCs from him, so I will hopefully be able to produce some Paraguay x Suriname crosses next year.
 
Last edited:
very nice!! whats with the chick in the back? are they not rodent eaters at first or do you vary diet?

The second pic is not my animal, only the first pic is mine. I do agree it is good practice to vary the diet with these animals. I'm a dietitian for humans however, so if you are feeding a rodent-based diet to your animals, and they are thriving, I wouldn't be able to comment against it with any authority.
I have a 2010 Suriname male YTC that just wants birds, and in order to get him to eat a mouse, I have to get him into a feeding frenzy with small quail chicks at first, then sneak in a mouse and get him to hit it before he really checks it out, otherwise, he will turn his nose up at it. On the other hand, I have an '09 female Guyana YTC that would rather eat rodents than birds. Only way to get her to eat a chick is to let her get really hungry, which in any Drymarchon takes about a week at most, then put her in her feeding tub with a chick and leave her alone with it for about an hour. So I guess it basically depends on the animal. I do recommend not feeding these guys in their cages. When they get up above 7', they are very strong, and a feeding-response bite can do some real lacerating, so to condition them against it, I feed all of mine in a separate container. They all know the drill well. I can reach into their cages without any fear of being bit at all, pick them up, then place them in the feeding tubs, and the hunt is on. You don't want to reach back into the tub without having fed them to the point they are full. So far, they all do very well with this approach, but it usually takes about a week for new guys to get the idea.
There is a video on youtube of a YTC that likes to eat her shed skin. The owner says she does it everytime. One thing for sure, they are an interesting genus to keep.
 
Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance but what does YTC stand for? My google-fu finds nothing.

Here is a page on a friend's website that will tell you anything and everything you would like to know, but were afraid to ask. I mentioned a word I couldn't find on there, but he has not added it yet. The word was Halotype, which basically translates to a preserved specimen. Anyway, here is the link:

http://serpentinespecialties.webs.com/herpterminology.htm
 
Back
Top