• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Baby Cockatiel - Friendly Nips?

AGoodwin

Animal Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 17, 2012
Messages
493
Reaction score
20
Points
0
Age
39
Location
Wentworth, NH, USA
Hi there,

I am a first time cockatiel owner. I have only had budgies before. I got my pied baby Sunday at a bird expo. He does not bite my fingers when I put my hands through the cage, but when I put my hand in he will come over and nip me a little, however it does not hurt and he even does this after voluntarily going onto my hand. He lets me pull my hand out of the cage with him on it as well. He does not get scared and flap away from me when I go in the cage and I feel he is big enough that if he wanted to hurt me he could. This makes me think it is friendly, kind or playing with me, rather than trying to hurt me or get me away. Thoughts?

Thanks!

~Amanda
 
Was your tiel hand-fed? Do you know how old it is?

The nips can mean a few things... if he makes no noise when doing the nips, its not anger :) He can be trying to play but I am thinking more than likely he is asking to be fed. That is why I asked the questions above.
 
yes about the hand feeding. He/she is 2-4 months old. There is no noise before or with the biting. But there have been a few times that I have gone in the cage near him and he hisses at me, but instead of biting me he just moves away.
 
To me... Sounds like the person who hand fed them didnt spend any time with them other than to put food into them. If you handle him/her often, the nipping should stop. Or you can get a toy or something to encourage him/her to nibble on that instead of your hands.
 
Back
Top