• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

breeding wild rat to captivate rat

nevmoy

New member
Joined
Oct 9, 2013
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
nazareth pa
So I had a rat problem in the house. My dachshund took care of one and I caught the other in a live trap. Put aside quarantine and babysitting them after putting him in with a couple females. Old like to hear some opinions please. My thought on it, is it introduces a new blood line. And eliminates some inbreeding problems as I breed them for feeders.

Again, quarantine, antiparasitic, and babysitting, what are your opinions reintroducing a "new bloodline"

Thanks!
 
That should really only be attempted by an experienced breeder. While you may get some good traits from a breeding you will also get the undesirable and antisocial traits of wild rats. The wild rat may very well kill your pet. If you want to test breeding there are many domesticated varieties to do that with. There is one company that specializes in a breed for longevity and aging.
 
So I had a rat problem in the house. My dachshund took care of one and I caught the other in a live trap. Put aside quarantine and babysitting them after putting him in with a couple females. Old like to hear some opinions please. My thought on it, is it introduces a new blood line. And eliminates some inbreeding problems as I breed them for feeders.

Again, quarantine, antiparasitic, and babysitting, what are your opinions reintroducing a "new bloodline"

Thanks!

Are those females now also quarantined?
 
Joe's got great points. Your pet rat is actually a domesticated animal, and although technically the same species as the wild rat you captured, it's a very different beast. As arguably one of the most abundant animals in captivity, there is no shortage of bloodlines you could take advantage of. Why take an unnecessary risk?
 
He was never in with any femails. I had him in quarantine for one day. I got similar answers on a different forum and decided it wasn't worth it. So the one wild caught rat a long with 8 others have been disposed of. I killed one wild male that was bigger than any rat iv ever ever seen and I'm not by any means a novace. I had a successful rodent farm for 2 yrs and had to give it up because I developed allergies. I only have have enough to feed my own snakes now. IV been De breeding reptiles for the better part of 20 yrs. So I fully understand quarantine. In fact that wild caught rat was in its own separate room for that day I had him.

Thanks you guys.
 
Yeah I figured. I re-read moyer post after reading yours and probably would have thought the same. Thank you again
 
Back
Top