• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Bright star to the southwest?

WebSlave

The sunset is coming.
Staff member
Staff
Joined
Feb 3, 2002
Messages
20,587
Reaction score
885
Points
113
Location
Crawfordville, FL
Anyone else seeing this? It's REALLY bright, whatever it is. Been seeing it for a while now (like a couple of weeks) whenever I am out after dark, and tonight coming back to the house from the other building, I could see this thing shining through the trees very noticeably.

Venus? :shrug01:
 
Yep, it's Venus. If you look at it through binoculars you can see it's crescent shaped (Venus is dimmest on Earth when it is full, because it has to be on the opposite side of the side for it to be full from our perspective).

Mercury is also putting on a good show in pre-dawn hours. Unfortunately, sun diver Comet ISON has appeared to have disintegrated as it passed the sun and isn't giving us a good show anymore. Poopie. Was really hoping to have a naked-eye visible comet this year.

http://www.griffithobs.org/skyreport.html
 
Yeah, was a lot of hype about Ison floating around. I find the "doom and gloom" scenarios fascinating, but after a while it gets old from reading about nearly everything causing a catastrophe of one sort or another.

Anyway, I have toyed with the idea of getting a decent telescope, but I keep getting stymied by the simple fact that it would be a waste where I live. I'm right in the middle of the woods, so unless what I was interested in looking at is directly overhead, then it probably wouldn't be visible anyway. Trees would be in the way. So I always scrap the idea as just being silly for my situation.

Probably just as well, as I'm sure I would want to photograph stuff, and that would likely run into even more expense for something I'll shove in a closet after playing with it for a month.

Besides, there are bears running around here at night.... :ack2:
 
Rich,

I'll trade ya a week of life here on a western ranch for a week in Florida! I wanna see some alligators! We have no real light pollution here, and you can see for miles. Plenty of fun stuff to do here! Leave the cows in the pasture alone, though. They ain't the kind you wanna tip.
 
Off thread kinda.I've seen it too! See a lot of other crazy things,as Luke's Air Force Base isn't too far.I must admit,I have real clear skies and like living out of the city,but Florida is great and green.Loved it! Believe me,122+degrees and it really doesn't matter if it is a 'DRY'heat!
 
Back
Top