• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Chinese Water Dragon. Male or female?

Jazeira

Crested Gecko Breeder
Joined
Jul 5, 2007
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
MO
I just recently got an adult water dragon. Previous owners thought it to be a "she" but weren't sure. How do I tell?

I've read a lot about it, and there doesn't seem to be much info. Some places said males are more colorful and that they have bigger jaws, also that the males grow about a foot longer.

I think "she" is about two feet and I do believe the previous owners had her for a while, so should I assume it is a she?

Any tips?
 
I haven't worked with them in over 10 years...The coloring and "crest" would seem to indicate a male, but the head doesn't look right. I also thought the males had higher dorsal spines. A vent/rear leg shot of an animal that size should be conclusive, though - as the femoral pores are quite pronounced on males.

Keep an eye on the face/mouth - they are quite prone to rubbing injuries, and that one already looks a bit off.
 
Looks alot like a male to me, Have you brought em into a Vet? Cause it looks like he may have Rub damage or perhaps mouth rot,, Im Still new to Cwd's myself, just have Done alot of reading lol
 
I'd forgotten all about this thread.

Male? Really? Er, and I named it Brynhild already!

I'll try to take a shot of the pores soon and post it for more oppinions.

She or HE did have a rubbed nose. It has healed pretty well now and a lot of swelling, and disfigurment in her jaw has gone away. She's also gained some weight and is looking a LOT better.

And I think that she probably had mouth rot myself! But it is almost completely clear now. I've been using a little hydrogen peroxcide. She still gapes a little now and then, but a lot of the gung in her mouth and the scaps around it have gone away and she does it a lot less often. She's been looking really healthy compared to when I got her.
 
well Im glad to Hear shes Doin Better Now :D, Also the gaping could be a sign of respitory Infection, you could Try Raising her Heat up A lil bit more and Try to keep the humidity around 80-85%, Its a Pain in the arse i know lol. I had same troubles Then i bought a waterfall witha builtin fogger. Works Awsum.
 
Ok. I'll try raising the heat. I'm actually working on fixing up her cage and want to install a waterfall, so that's great.

Regarding gender, I did a lot of googling the other day and I'm inclined to believe she's female. Apparently males have sort of spines on their back? She does have very bright colors, but she does not have the spines going down her entire back.
 
That is Very Tru, Another way To Check is the size of the Femoral pores, Males are larger than a Females, And if you lift the tail you Should see 2 bulges rite above the Vent. Im still waiting to see what mine is but Cletus is a lil bit to young yet lol. You could always try www.Repticzone.com . They have a forum All about water dragons and people way more experienced on them Than Me (its where I do most of my reading on Cwd's lol)
 
Thanks for the link! I will definently take a look. And good luck with your dragon too. ;)
 
Hello

Hello,

How is your girl doing now? Her face is just about healed now? I noticed you had a thread over here too, & the vet one before.
You can post pics so we can see if she is a he or vice versa.
I Hope all is going well with her. Remember, to go easy on the hydrogen peroxide. The betadine is much better to use, it doesn't kill the good cells. :D


Tracie
 
Thanks. I've pretty much determined that she's a girl now.

I do have a picture I want to upload here though. I need to get it off of my camera. Her scales have started to come back where she rubbed her nose!
 
Oh Rite on, Thats Good to hear, Cause Cletus had a lil bit of rub damage on his lower Lip, and it almost looks like scales are returning too :D Neways Happy thanks Giving guys, Oh and the short spikes on the back, I read a post where one guys male had probs shedding and didnt have big spikes on its back either
 
Hello

Hello,

That is great the scales are starting to grow back on her snout now! Boy that took a long time didn't it?
Definitely post some pics for us. :D


Tracie
 
It did take a while!


Here is a vent shot. I'm sure she's female, but just to be sure...
156bxn8.jpg


And here is a shot of the side where she rubbed her nose.
671oiu.jpg

I think she looks really cute in this pic, not to mention healthy. When I got her, all of that white on her jaw was swelled up.
 
Thanks!

Hello,

Sorry we were moving & were out of cable for awhile.
Thanks for posting those pics, she looks so sweet. She has made some excellent improvements. Great job!!
Definitely a female, too. :D How old approximately, is she?

Tracie
 
Oh ok. Hope you had a good move. :)

Thanks!

I believe she's in her 2nd year.
 
Back
Top