• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Chuckwallas age and size?

birdman123

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
124
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Armonk, New York
Do they grow quick? If was going to start a juvie out in a 2 by 2 by 2 enclosure should I be fine? I have Canary island lizard on my mind too. I will find out the size of the juvie I may get. It would be the Calico... I just want to make it clear that I probably won't get one unless this will work for at least a few months. Money is hard right now.... lol. I am thinking about it because I just got a new rack system and it has extra room. I think 2 by 2 is a little too much of room. I will also be able to buy expands to the cages. I think it could make it a 4 by 2. They are Boaphile... I will probably go with a Canary island lizard if this won't work out. They seem to be fine in a 2 by 2. Let me know but please don't get angry at me for asking.
 
Chris, a 2x2 sounds way too small for a chuck, even a baby. You might be able to house a hatchling in it temporarily, but my babies outgrew a 40 gal tank (3x18) in just a few months, mostly because they are very active and intelligent. You need a minimum of 3-4ftx12-18inches for a chuck, and you need at least 18 inches depth to create a decent basking spot. You should really think in terms of the bigger the better for chucks.

You also need to keep in mind that chucks need a pretty wide temp gradient to stay healthy. You have to set up a basking spot at one end and get a good digital thermometer or a temp gun, and keep your basking SURFACE temps between 100-115, then your hot side should be in the mid to upper 80s, and the temps should drop as you move away from the basking spot down to the mid 70s-80. This temp gradient or range can't be created in a 2x2, or really anything less than 3x18x18. Then you need hides or caves spread across that temp gradient so that they can regulate their body temps and still feel secure.

Chucks are herbivores, and eat a TON of salad, and I do not mean lettuce! They need turnip greens, and mustard greens and collared greens, and a variety of other dark and leafy greens and veggies. Then they need supplements.

Chucks are not that easy to set up and care for because of their temperature and space requirements, and diet. They are very intelligent creatures, and really suffer if you cram them into a tiny space and don't meet their needs both physically and mentally.

Have you kept lizards before?
 
I actually have a good heat gradient it is exactly that. It is 85 on the hot side. I talked to the breeder too. I will keep him in that for a little while but if the end arises I will make it as big as 4 x 2. I do have a depth of 18. I have kept lizards and I do keep them.
 
Hi,
I am his brother, actually twin but we have an enclosure waiting to be built as soon as we give the word. We have to areas one very hot around the 115 like you said and around 85 to 75. 75 is only when the light if offf but=the that rarely happens. The guy who is building these cages will make specific modifications on it for chuckwallas. Where did you get your items for your enclosure from?
Thank you for your help,
Mac
 
Deer Fern Farms... He was very knowledgeable. I am also not going to keep him there for long until he is 12". He actually is doing great keeps basking.
 
For a salad would parsel, carrots, spinach, and apples or something like that. I currently need to get some mustard greens and collared greens.
 
You are in great hands with Doug. He is a great resource, so listen to him. Do what he suggests. ;)

My enclosures are large tanks right now, but I am planning to get or build a 6x2x2 this Spring for my group. Here is a pic of the family
FamilyPortrait.jpg


So you have the little guy already? I use a Megaray on mine, even though you don't have to provide UVB if you provide D3. I believe it does make a difference. They are sun loving creatures, so I think they benefit from it.
 
For a salad would parsel, carrots, spinach, and apples or something like that. I currently need to get some mustard greens and collared greens.

Those veggies are more like treats. I suggest that you follow Doug's care sheet on Uros as far as diet goes. I even allow my basking temps to approach 120, but they can retreat to a 75-78 degree area. Here is Doug's care sheet:
http://www.deerfernfarms.com/Uromastyx_Care.htm

Here is a list of edible plants and a breakdown of their nutritional value for herbivores and Omnivores. It was created with beardies in mind, but works for uros, chucks, and igs as well.
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Finally, there is a good, active chuck forum here that you should join
http://forums.kingsnake.com/forum.php?catid=45

It sounds like you are really trying to learn as much as you can. That is a good thing. :)
 
Mine looks like the guy on top of the bigger chuckwallas. They are interesting animals. I will look into all of this stuff. Thank you. I will make it into a 4 x 2 once he "graduated" from his current one. I have a feeling that he is happy. I really love, Tensu, he is awesome.
 
Back
Top