• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Common Courtesy

robin d.

New member
Joined
Feb 14, 2003
Messages
3,710
Reaction score
5
Points
0
Age
90
Location
San Antonio, Texas
you know i can be harch sometimes... but my mother taught me common courtesy couth and respect for others...now while i do argue and get nastey with people... there are reasons behind these actions. but if i have no reason to not have any ill will or discourtesy towards one... i give people all the courtesy they themselves have extended as well as the respect that they deserve. now what is it geographical? i mean does NO one have these manners anymore or do parents even teach them to their children anymore?
maybe its a southern thing i but i see allot more courtious people down south than up north (north in general).
ya know, i do usnderstand why our society has declined in values and morals... i really do understand.....parents arent willing to take the time out to teach them these things.. no more family diners or teaching yes ma'am or no sir, or opening a door for an older person for you, opening the car door or just saying "hi" to someone you don't even know or helping someone with their groceries. it really pisses me off. and for those that say "we dont have time" well you should have thought of that BEFORE you had children because you CAN NOT school to teach them manners too!!!!!!!!!!
grrrrrrrrr
 
they just called...there having a blue light special on black nylons in section 5...they need you now!!!...........................quit bitchin and get in there!
 
adding to it.... shoot if we even cussed at our parents we got a backhand oe soap in the moth (when we were young kids). if we misbehaved we got the belt or a swat, my mom used to pop me on the ass with a fly swatter as i was walking by doing something i shouldnt
corporal punishment... come on now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i got so many licks in high school and i DESERVED EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!... schools arent strict enough... oh, give them study hall... detention, saturday school or on campus suspention..... blah.... a little paddlin might make em think twice... and i am not talking about BEATING a child i am simply talking about pops or swats on your ass you know the fatty part your kid hangs out on most of his/her days?
 
riverjop said:
they just called...there having a blue light special on black nylons in section 5...they need you now!!!...........................quit bitchin and get in there!

no... this is my rant so just keep shopping out of it!!
 
No ranting allowed on Sundays! You can whine or yelp, but you have to wait tell monday to rant!
[SIZE=-7]Don't you read the fine print?[/SIZE]
 
It's because the south is about 25 years behind the north :) Just kidding!!!!
I was born in new orleans, so i best not pick on southerners :slamit:
 
I know, i meant it to be that the southerners are more old school compared to northeners. You know, back in the times, where common courtesy was taught in schools........
 
it was not taught in schools but it was expected... the parents did the teaching... now of course if you said "yeah" instead of "yes sir" something is gonna go down thats for sure hehe
but ya old school stuff you don't see it too often anymore
 
Robin, I hear you! My kids are courteous(sp?) I guess because they saw me being that way; children learn by example. Of course a swat on the butt is just a reminder- Heheh! :hehe:

I see kids today running rampant and behaving like...well, animals behave better than most of them...so I'm not sure what to call them and the parents just stand there like they don't see or hear what is going on around them. I'm not sure what the problem is or if there is a solution. It is surely frustrating though.
 
but you know what? i mean yeah it can be the kids but the parents are just as bad at time (i guess the apple dont fall far from the tree). Shoot even adult who have no kids with complete lack of courtesy... it's just damn disgusting. i mean have they ever heard of "please", "thank you" you know the simple thing... or it should be the simple things.
when i was a kid it was "children should be seen and not heard" (when in like at public places or gatherings... shoot if i was acting like an asshole in the grocery store she would go tell me to go and sit in the car until she was done shopping.. i would say mom its hot and she would tell me... then keep the door open now adays thats considered chilld neglect or some crap like that and she would not hesitate to swat my ass in the store either... now you do that and its child abuse... i mean i understand child abuse and neglect but where do you draw the line and where does the law draw the line?
 
Robin,

I have to disagree with your Northern claims. I have more or less hovered close to the Canadian border most of my life and I am courteous to others until it is warranted for me to not be.

Now the kids and parents now a days are lacking something. Most parents now are post paddling days. When you remove the possibility of circumstances for you actions you will have no discipline. My two nephews ganged up on my sister-in-law when she slapped the one kid for some reason. When I was a kid, if you were to raise your voice let alone your hand to your parent you were going to get your ass whooped! If the kids (parents too) now got a few swats with a fly swatter (my Mom's favorite was a wooden spoon) or a lash or two with a belt they would think twice about the way they acted.
 
ok let me be a bit more specific north easterners... a saaid northerns in general but i see it more in people from the north east... not all of them but allot
oh and i got the spoon too LOL and yes your raise your voice and you get a back hand raise your hand and get an ass whoopin
 
my dad would make me pick a switch.. you had to pick a good one all green and would whip around real good... cuz if you didnt you would get twice any many switchins or either my dad would go and pick the switch and thats bad because he has been switch himself and is a professional switch picker... man that stung... i would take a belt to my but or a hand, spoon or fly swatter but a switch was the worst
 
I have arthritis so paddling my kids hurt me more than it hurt them...and they started to know it. So I bought a nice, big wooden spoon with a little leather thong on it so I could hang it on the kitchen wall.

I painted a happy face on one side and a sad face on the other. It always faced happy side out until someone started behaving badly. Then I'd turn it to the sad side. That meant someone was in imenent danger of being paddled with that spoon.

It was funny after a while to watch the kids bicker with each other and just do a complete 180 when Mom got up, went into the kitchen and flipped that wooden spoon! :hehe:

The funny thing is, I rarely had to use it. My kids are now 22, 17 and 16 respectively and seem to be fairly well adjusted. They get jobs they keep, people like them and I am not ashamed to say they are mine.
 
robin s. said:
my dad would make me pick a switch.. you had to pick a good one all green and would whip around real good... cuz if you didnt you would get twice any many switchins or either my dad would go and pick the switch and thats bad because he has been switch himself and is a professional switch picker... man that stung... i would take a belt to my but or a hand, spoon or fly swatter but a switch was the worst

Robin that is too funny! That is exactly what my dad would do! "GO PICK ME A SWITCH" Ha Ha.....I sill remember the very last time he asked me to do that, I went out side and found this, like 8' long branch that had broken off and brought it back to him....I remember he just stared at me slowly shaking his head and turned and walked away! he never did that again, I guess I had grown beyond the threat or action of getting my ass whipped.
But I do agree I think some of the root of the problems is directly because of the lack of disapline.....These nea-sayers with there bull$hit whinning about "OH Don't spank little jimmy" What a bunch of crock! While he runs around like a wild man! Hey! I was like that, and my parents punished me (mostly my dad "wait tell your dad gets home" ewwww I hated those words) and I think I hav turned out pretty good!!!...I haven't killed anyone today!....hmmmm it's only 8am?
 
I totally agree overton! My parents would bust my a$$ when i got in trouble, but i learned not to mess up. My brother on the otherhand never got his A$$ busted. He to this day steals money from my father and just gets away with murder with him, and he's an adult now. It's sad to see him do it to my father, but my father will not do anything to him (You know, like kick him out or even put him in jail). I grew up learning to work for the things i wanted since i was 11, my brother has had everything handed to him. Cellphone and bill paid by my father, and he smashes the phones, not one but 5 of them so far. Once he smashes his phone, he takes my dads to use till he gets a new one (and sometimes smashes those too). Each time he smashes his or my fathers phone, my father runs out and buys another $100+ phone (Phone insurance even cancelled him because of all the phones they lost in a short time). I keep telling him, to make my brother get off his lazy a-- and get a job and MAYBE, when he goes to smash the cell phone he had to work so hard cooking burgers for. I think he would think twice about it, the next time. But He won't even make him do all that.

The truely sad part about all this is that, you would think from the way i am talking me and my little brother are 5 years apart or something........ Well how does 13 months and 2 days sound??? It amazes anyone that knows both of us, that we are as different as night and day, but yet are not that far apart in age. The only thing i know that could have caused it, was him not getting punished when he was bad.
 
Yep the problem is ...your Father has enabled him his whole life. Why should he work for something when it is handed to him on a gold plate?
The things in life that are most cherished are the things you have to work the hardest for!
 
Back
Top