• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Double Clutches in Ball pythons?

Robert Walker

---------------
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
409
Points
0
Location
USA
Hi Fauna,

Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought Balls were an annual breeder, produced once a year if lucky. Has anyone seen their ball pythons produce double clutches in a 12 month period??

I have two females that laid in early (June & July). They both went nuts on eating afterwards and have both gained back their pre-lay weights in the past 3-4 months.

Why I ask, is both females are now wrapping their bowls again and going on and off feed. They have NOT been with any males either. :shrug01:Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
Robert
 
Maybe they are full? How long have they been off food? I know sometimes I have had females eat well at first then take a 1 month break from food before eating again. I have yet to ever have a female have 2 clutches in 1 year. I would be happy to have them back up to weight and over by the next year.
Sounds interesting..
 
I don't cool them. I live in Nebraska, where I just let winter snow fall push a drop in temps "kinda" in Dec-Feb. Perhaps they are just full, which at the rate they eat, would be realistic.

I just don't understand the wrapping the bowls part already.

Independent of my personal situation, I would still be interested to see if anyone else has seen double clutches?

Thanks guys for responding!
 
They are wrapping probably to get ready for this fall breeding but doesn't mean they will breed yet I've put males in with my females that are wrapping in hopes that they may be ready early but there hasn't been any locks yet. As for being on feed yeah it's more than likely they are full, I had a couple that did that after laying they ate tons and then took a month off like Ted said his did. Even if they locked right now they would probably retain sperm and lay again around the same time frame as this year. Bowl wrapping is common this time of year though because October is when I start introducing them to males but like I said this year I started introducing early in hopes I could start them early. What I found was a couple of them that didn't lay last year locked early but the ones that laid earlier this year, even one that laid last February hasn't locked yet. They know their time frames and they usually stick to them fairly well.
 
Dustin - Great input! That was perfect and all makes sense. Thank you! If only I knew how to pass out Karma points to everyone who comments??
 
You can give karma by pressing the weight scale that's beside the green dot that shows you're online in the left bottom corner of your post. :thumbsup:
 
That doesn't mean some of your females won't lock just because others are still laying. Some females lay early some lay late you really need to be able to judge ovulation time to know when to pair them up otherwise you could miss the deadline and they won't go that year. Its better to be early than late since they can always retain sperm.
 
Back
Top