• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Egg...up or down???

Robert Walker

---------------
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
409
Points
0
Location
USA
Hi Guys & Gals,

The season is rocking and things are going great. I came across a first for me this morning...

I took a female off of her clutch today. Normally the eggs have developed some bond to either each other or the bottom of the cage, allowing me to see the eggs in their facing "up or top" position.

This time every single egg rolled around a bit,:ack2: thus leaving me really not knowing at all which way is up or down???

Any thoughts or ideas in identifying which way is up?? Candle? I can tell that a couple of eggs have developed a yellowing ring (see picture). Not sure if that is an indicator or not??

Any thoughts?? THANKS!!

PS. Maxed out the incubator today!:eek: Another problem to worry about. Clutch 15 today. I've had to combine clutches in the boxes.
 

Attachments

  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 123
I had 3 snakes dump and run last year, no idea what side was up or down.
I put them all in the tubs and marked the top of the eggs at that point and every single egg hatched just fine.
 
My guess is that initially it doesn't matter, its more important that they stay in whaterver orientation they are in once they start to develop if that makes sense. I mean, I've had eggs stick in such a way that some of them are standing on end, and the end facing down is where the yolk ends up, so it becomes the bottom. I hope that makes sense...
 
Jerry!! LOL This again.

I just had this happen to me the other day, I did exactly what Jerry did and we will see how it goes.

Good luck with these and to the rest of a great year for you!

Congrats :)
 
hatched just fine.
Thanks Jerry! Puts my mind at ease and glad yours hatched out just fine!!

standing on end, and the end facing down is where the yolk ends up, so it becomes the bottom. I hope that makes sense...
Shelly, yes totally makes sense and I always end up with some egg pointing to the sky as well:D

Jerry!! LOL This again.

I just had this happen to me the other day, I did exactly what Jerry did and we will see how it goes.

Good luck with these and to the rest of a great year for you!

Congrats :)
Thanks for the congrats Amanda! 2 clutches today were expected a third was a surprise:eek: Good luck with clutches too!
 
I, too, had a holy roller egg- snake hung onto it- then she dropped it ( yeah- she hung onto it by her tail...) and it went a rollin'. egg hatched fine

You did right- i dont think early on its gonna kill th ebaby snake- but just keep it right side up in the incubator and all should go well. I think if you moved the eggs late into incubation- could be a problem.

and wows- 15 clutches? can't even imagine that amount!
 
Jerry!! LOL This again.
haha, yep, this again.
I'm wondering if those same females dump and run again this year :rofl:

I'm not sure orientation matters at first, but it is kind of nerve wracking when the eggs are all over the tub :eek:

This was the bee clutch that all hatched out with no issues...
Beewitheggs.jpg


Final outcome 0.1 queenbee/0.1 Pastel Lesser/0.1 lesserbee/1.1 bumblebee/1.0 lesser/ 1.0 normal

Good luck, I have no doubt the eggs will hatch just fine :thumbsup:
 
Great outcome Jerry, female heavy!! Yah, your Bee looks like she could care less about those white balls that caused her pain for so long.

Thanks for sharing!
 
15 clutches? can't even imagine that amount!


Janet, we have had great luck so far, I am just waiting for something bad to happen now to reverse the stream. Fingers crossed:thumbsup:
 
Back
Top