• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Food police

Lucille

New member
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
16,037
Reaction score
1,441
Points
0
Location
Texas
http://www.chron.com/life/healthzon...est-ever-seizure-of-7222243.php#photo-9731385


I have mixed opinions about food police, mostly because in looking at those 'busted' there seem to be three distinct categories, and the first two don't seem, to me, to warrant large scale destruction of the food involved.

The first are those who simply do not have the required certificate, and then the food, sometimes lots of it, is destroyed. I do not always agree with this. I have a feeling that sometimes certificates are not required for our 'safety', but rather as barriers to prevent competition, and to give large powerful companies an edge over small ones.

The second is the destruction of foodstuffs not ordinarily eaten here. There was a picture of a bunch of caterpillars. While I am not going to eat a caterpillar unless I am actually starving, if other people want to snack on them, I don't care.
Of course if a certain kind of foodstuff may carry disease, that is a different issue than simply being un-ordinary.

The third category is where actual safety may be an issue, such as smoking foodstuffs using garbage as fuel. That sort of contaminated food can be dangerous, and sometimes contamination may not be noticed until enough is eaten that illness or death is going to follow.
 
Back
Top