• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Fried cabbage

Lucille

New member
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
16,037
Reaction score
1,441
Points
0
Location
Texas
It really isn't fried except for at the beginning. Some people use bacon but I had some smoked ham with ham fat so I used that, fry it up with a chopped onion, I used a sweet onion. Instead of using my slow cooker I just used a large steel pot.
Cut up a cabbage and put it in the pot along with the onions. Just cover with chicken broth and then cook until the cabbage is as tender as you like it. Add some sliced Eckrich sausage (to taste, 1/2 to 1 lb.) and a lot of black pepper, two tablespoons or so, and cook another 15 minutes. Serve with cornbread made in a skillet.
 
I've made similar with a sliced rib of celery included (cut it in half or thirds, then slice thinly longways) and cook it in browned pork sausage.

Add a couple cans of diced tomatoes, white rice, and enough water so the rice doesn't dry out just before simmering and you have unstuffed cabbage rolls. I usually add a few Tbsp of Italian spice when using mild sausage.
 
Back
Top