• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Habitat for Humanity

Lucille

New member
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
16,037
Reaction score
1,441
Points
0
Location
Texas
I've heard about this organization for years and finally went to visit the Houston Restore yesterday.
It is very large and unpretentious with a ton of doors, building materials, sinks, cabinets, cheap paint refurbished computers, chandeliers and supplies and other stuff. Lots of friendly volunteers , someone is always around to help you move an item or answer questions.
I got an office chair, an automatic bread maker, and a floor lamp all for about $45. The floor lamp is perfect, the chair needed a minor fix, and the bread maker is making bread right now.
The prices on construction materials are not dirt cheap but definitely lower than in the big box stores. A lot of the doors and flooring is brand new, and everything is in pretty good shape.
What stood out is the positive attitude and willingness to help. Everyone was courteous, and took their time to assist me.
I think if you are planning on renovating an urban home, a visit here might be helpful, it certainly will be fun.
 
I (speaking as someone who is generally suspicious of lot of "good causes") think Habitat for Humanity is well worth supporting.

Here in Fiji they assist really impoverished people who otherwise would be living in rusting tin shacks or biodegrading thatched huts. They give interest free loans for building materials, then they come and organise and supervise the house building by volunteer community members, so that as well as one family getting their new house, the rest of the village gets training in building.

So when you do go to shop with them you can also be sure that your money is going to a good cause.
 
The organization is top notch and I donated my services on 3 homes to wire for security system, phone lines and cables for TV/Internet. I actually became a body guard for other workers.

We worked in an area so bad that thugs would just walk in and demand money from the workers. We set it up where each place had at least 2 of us that looked like we might be trouble to stem it. However every night something would be broke or stolen and cars scratched and tires cut.

When I was finished I told them they needed to get out of that area. The manager agreed they messed up accepting those homes. I never went back but I bet those homes look like they did before work was done.

I wish I had more time because I'd love to help them. I did help trouble shoot a problem at one place. Spent maybe 3 hours there. Poor but decent neighborhood with Police and Fire near and decent schools. They really make you feel like an important member of the team and was fun watching kids get excited. I donated an old but very usable pick up a few years back.
 
Back
Top