• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Heat mat temperature setting

JBC86

New member
Joined
Oct 14, 2017
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Columbus, Georgia
I've got ZooMed ReptiTherm UTH heat mats regulated by Spyder Herpstat 1 thermostats currently set to 100 degrees. I chose 100 because the heat mats I've found claim to operate - when they don't overheat - at "about 20 degrees above room temperature" (95) or in the case of Fluker's (which looks like a re-branded Ultratherm) "at 100 degrees". On the glass I can't really tell it's running... it's only 1 degree above body temp. The infrared thermometer reads only 77/78 degree at top of the substrate, 1.5" of ReptiBark. I want to use the heat mat as a primary heat source but I'd like a basking spot of +/- 86 degrees.

It's for a Honduran and a Pueblan in a 74 degree room.

Should I turn the temp up, or switch to a lighter/thinner substrate like Aspen, or both?
 
Snakes burrow. Clear the substrate away and measure the temperature of the glass over the heat mat.
 
Back
Top