• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Help Needed!!!

a1littlesister

New member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
64
Location
Michigan
I just found Costello on the floor out of his tank. Apparently my husband didn't close the front all the way and he climbed out...problem is the tank is on a dresser and about a 3ft. drop. Other than being scared to death cause the dog was barking at him he seems ok. No broken bones but I was worried about him inside. My exotic vet closed today at noon and won't be open till Monday. What should I look for to make sure he has no internal injuries from his fall. I don't know if he landed on his back, belly , side or what. I'm worred sick about him....

Thanks
Alexa
 
Is he acting OK? Any tenderness or discomfort when you palpate?

I've got a couple of Beardies that seem to do their best to leap out of my hands (or off from my shoulder) at the most inopportune times, and as much as it scares me, they have always been fine. It seems to bother ME a lot more than it does them, in fact......sometimes I think they do it just to watch me freak out! 3 feet really isn't "that" big of a drop, though.

As long as he's acting normal, I wouldn't worry too much, just keep a close eye on him and make sure he keeps acting fine, and watch his stools as well for any discoloration.
 
Thanks, He seems to be acting ok...just a bit puffed up and scared...but has calmed a bit now. I'll take him back out and check him over again when he calms a bit more. I guess now that they are 7mo. old I need to make sure the cage is closed now...they can reach the edge when they do the glass dancing thing..Like you I think I was freaking out more than him.
Thanks again
 
Glad to hear he seems OK. ;) The dog barking at him was probably the scariest part of it all for him, lol.
 
undefinedundefined
hi, there seems to be alot of beardies freaking there mummys out at the moment and funny enough it's mostly the hubbys fault lol, been answering a few of these on other forums.

cats right, it is just a case of keeping an eye out for any changes in behaviour but I'd do it for a while incase it is internal. he's probably fine... mines done it too (yes hubbys fault lol and I found him right next to the cat lucky bugger) but any changes may take a few weeks to show. But if he's bright and active and back to usual and stays that way .. no probs.
usually it's just there cold and frightened. might help by putting a glass lock on the viv, that way you will have to check each time if it is closed (or he will )

taake care

jojo xx
 
I had one jump off my shoulder a few years ago and he ruptured his liver. The vet could not save him. I knew something was wrong right away as he keep his beard black and became listless within a few days. His name was Tots and he landed on a hardwood floor and I guess he did not get his legs down in time to soften the blow. The bigger and heavier the dragon the more prone to injury when they jump....
 
Costello did land on a wood floor...but he seems ok right now..no swelling or bruises anywhere. He did eat only a few crickets though. Suggestion of the lock...I did go in and put the lock on the cage so it can't be left open. I took him out and pushed a bit on his underside and it didn't seem to bother him. I will keep a close eye on him though knowing it could show up later. Thanks for all suggestions and help.
 
Back
Top