• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Heosemys Spinosa (spiny turtle) care

Duramaxdually

Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Location
Mandeville,louisiana
i have a small group of spinosa and am wondering about their feeding habits, how often they eat, as well as what you have luck with them eating?
I have them on mainly fruit diet bc they dont have any interest in much else.
Currently feeding on mango, watermelons, papaya, bannanas, strawberries and the occasnioal pinkies and worms. I was wondering if there was any important part of diet i am leaving out. I have had no luck with any kind of greens.

Interested in hearing from you guys about your expienrences with these guys and any other advice.

I keep the 2 adults i have outside in south louisiana in a very shady area under an oak tree in 10x10 pens seperated. They each have their own small stream/waterfall.
 
Hey! I work with a group of about 5 spinosa. We have ours on a similar diet and add pieces of mazuri and tomatoes plus supplements. My group usually get active at dusk or after a good misting and then come out to feed.
 
They are inside year round. We have a greenhouse we use to keep a variety of species and about 30 individuals. We keep it relatively humid in there and 70ish degrees Fahrenheit.
 
Thanks. I have started building my last pen outsise for them. They each have their stream leading to a small pond with a pump to keep water clean. Hoping to see morr of theae guys become available in the future to add to the group. What kind of plants do u keep in their enclosures?
 
We have several small plants just from Lowe's or Home Depot that our supervisor planted so I'm not sure exactly what they are. We also recently added a banana tree we are hoping to grow tall and shade much of their spot. We have lots of dead leaves for them to crawl around in too and they love that!
 
Back
Top