• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

History in the pet trade

verbel

Contributing Member
Contributor
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
43
Reaction score
2
Points
8
Location
Carthage, NC
I was curious if anyone here knew the history of bearded dragons in the pet trade ? I assume they were smuggled at some point could be wrong though. I'm just curious if anyone knows the story behind it all and the amount of animals that are massive amount of dragons came from. Either way, thought I would ask out of curiosity. Thanks.
 
Well, there's still ongoing trafficking of Pogona species:

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...CO-AND-THE-EUS-ROLE-AS-A-MAIN-DESTINATION.pdf

While that article correctly points out that Australia's wildlife export legislation dates only to 1999, I don't see that it notes that basically the same protections were in force at state level for quite some time previous. Some info on the earlier legislation can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_Protection_and_Biodiversity_Conservation_Act_1999

I've seen a few off hand published references that suggest that trafficking of common beardies began in the 1970s, which seems to have been the Golden Age of herp smuggling so the assumption is pretty easy to make. For example:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5630957/

Someone will certainly point out here that zoo offspring is part of the captive population, which is of course very likely true to some very small extent. It isn't often noted that early (like, most of the 20th century) zoo stock is also quite likely to have the same questionable origins as hobby stock. See Jennie Erin Smith's 'Stolen World'.
 
Back
Top