• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Insulation Reptile room

marker1

Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2020
Messages
124
Reaction score
3
Points
18
Location
Jacksonville, fl
Has anyone tried to insulate their reptile room with Styrofoam board? The stuff that is cut like plywood in 4X8 sheets. I thought it might be a good Idea to put a square on the inside of the window in the reptile room and even staple gun them up against the interior walls for added insulation. Any advice or critiques?
 
You're in FL. Are you trying to keep the room from getting too hot or from getting too cold? Some of the windows in my house leak like sieves so I just tape 3-mil clear plastic over them late in the fall, and that stops the cold drafts but still lets light in.

If overheating is the concern then you need to stop sunlight from entering the room. My south-facing windows all have thermal tint applied to the outside panes so that light can enter but IR (heat) is reflected. It makes a noticeable difference in the summer.
 
It was too keep it from getting cold during few cold months we have to possibly save energy by having the space heater not work as hard. I keep it 78 ambient during the day and 75 ambient at night.
 
It's certainly worth trying. I used the plastic because the leaks were around the window frame rather than through the panes.
 
I've been needing to do this myself in my garage. (Where my rodent colony is). One thing to keep in mind is if the room is humid you want to prevent moisture from being able to get between the foam board and the walls. If you go through with the project, let us know how it turns out for you. Good luck.
 
Agree on the moisture barrier. Also code requires sheet foam products (most kinds? there might be exceptions) in a residence to be covered with a fire barrier, e.g. drywall.
 
I've been needing to do this myself in my garage. (Where my rodent colony is). One thing to keep in mind is if the room is humid you want to prevent moisture from being able to get between the foam board and the walls. If you go through with the project, let us know how it turns out for you. Good luck.

I could definitely see that being an issue especially between the board and the window. Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder if that would be a worry if I literally only did it for the few cold months in that florida has though.
 
Back
Top