• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Is this a California Mt King or a Tarahumara Mountain King?

sickmak90

New member
Joined
Feb 18, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Huntington, WV
I purchased this snake several years ago and I believe it is a Tarahumara Mountain King but I cannot for the life of me remember. I remember it being Mexican so I am fairly certain it is a Tarahumara but would like to know for sure.

As I post this I am looking at pictures and maybe it wasn't labeled correctly and it is a Cal king. The all black snout leads me to believe it might not be a Tarahumara.



That picture is kind of old but its the best I currently can get.
 
I can't seem to find any definitive information on the difference between all the California mountain kings and the Mexican ones. Can't find any pics of ones with irregular banding like mine.

 
Does not look like a pyro or zonata. Appears to be a hybrid or an intergrade. Maybe try contacting who you bought it from to find out its actual lineage?
 
I can ask the shop I bought it from but I don't think they actually bred it. They aren't even carrying colubrids anymore because they don't sell well.

It very well could be a inter grade cause I can't find any variation that doesn't have perfect bands.
 
Tarahumara typically have a white snout and most Cal Mtn Kings have less of the head covered with black. Also the nearly complete bands around it disqualify it as Tarahumara- all that I have ever seen actually have a break in the banding on both sides running the length of the body. My best guess would be Mexican King snake. The irregular rings are not uncommon in mountain kingsnakes of all localities. I have a Cal Mtn king with similar irregularities in the banding. I hope this helps.
 
Back
Top