• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Mixing Clutches??

Robert Walker

---------------
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
409
Points
0
Location
USA
Hi Guys & Gals,

Just a quick question:

In an effort to save space in the incubator, I have mixed two clutches in the same tub. The 10 egg clutch looks great, but the 2 egg clutch, I give 50/50 of even making it. The 2 egg clutch look half slugish, but still plenty plump, not hard like a slug.

So...

Anyone ever have any issues mixing clutches like this before??
Thanks in advance!
Robert
 

Attachments

  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 152
thanks for the reply Amanda.

I probably should have been a little clearer in my question (my fault). Mostly looking to see if any one has seen cross contamination in groups of different clutches before? Any kind of bio rub off, mold, etc.

I have them labeled to identify clutches so I know what is what, most looking to see if there is something I don't know that could bite me in the butt by doing this??

Thanks all!
 
If the snakes are both from your collection then I wouldnt worry about contamination. Sorry about the two egg clutch, but the lower one looks like it could have a decent chance of hatching.
 
Thanks Bridgette for that, it makes sense. Yeah the upper egg looks like a tadpole but hopefully at least the lower one makes it.
 
Dont doubt the upper one yet, Ive seen on here one just like it last year hatching a lil 20g baby. Good luck to ya tho
 
That would be nice if it does, I would be happy with a 20g little gem over a dud. thanks!
 
I don't think there is anything wrong with putting multiple clutches in one egg box as long as they are marked. I think Mike Bell does it routinely, if memory serves.
 
Thanks Craig, you are right in that I have seen it done before too. Though I have seen it done, I just didn't know if someone found out the hard way not to do it??

I still regret I couldn't get that desert pastel from you last year...ugh!
 
we did it with one egg last year. It had no problems. I wouldn't think there is any problem...

Are they due to hatch at roughly the same date?
 
They are about 2 weeks apart, but I'm obviously tracking time for each. Glad it worked out for you too!
 
Ive put clutches together the last three years (including this year) without any issues. Just be labeling and so forth. With my clutches, I rarely have two females lay the same amount of eggs in a close time to each other so makes it easy to keep track of. :) Havent had any issues with mold or anything. If you have them in an enclosed box without air slots like I do you will be wanting to make sure they get enough air by opening them every couple days and checking on them and when babies start hatching opening it more often so they can breath. :) Although, I cant say with certainty it needs to be done, just what I do because I worry. :) Good luck on the clutches.
 
Thanks Shantel, I appreciate the response. Sounds like you have had success doing it along with others, so I am moving forward with it like planned. Thanks again.
 
My only concerns with it are marking them so you dont accidently cut the wrong eggs if you do that, or that the seepage from the egg being pipped would lead to a build up of bacteria and smell. I would think removing the eggs a couple days ahead of schedule to another container to hatch may be fine.
 
Yep Craig, right on point... separate them once I can... I don't really want the left over shells and seepage left with still developing eggs. Thanks again!
 
1-34.jpg


I hatched a 20 gram lesser enchi female from a boob egg, unfortunately I was unable to get her to eat on her own after many assist feedings and she did not thrive in the long run. But each boob egg baby is different, and I have seen babies thrive from them.

The bottom egg of yours looks great in size, and dont lose hope on the top one just yet :D
 
Yep, your boob egg looks super close to my boob (tadpole) looking egg. Sorry she didn't make it after that.

Out of curiosity... did you finally reach a point where you said, "you are going to eat by yourself or pass away, but I am done assist feeding"?? I ask because I have been working with a what was a 20g baby for a while now. I wonder how much longer to keep assist feeding before I finally say the above statement to myself...

I wonder if I am prolonging nature's course to weed out the weak or what? If you did in fact stop feeding her, how long before you reached that conclusion?

Thanks
 
That is exactly what I did

After her first shed and a week or two of her showing no interest. I gave her about 2-3 months of assist feedings while attempting to get her to eat on her own. Everything from rats to mice to soft furs; alive, fresh killed and frozen...after that I was done....she would either eat on her own or not. Which she never did. She was about 4 and a half to 5 months old when she died. She didn't last long without assist feedings

I know to some people that may seem harsh....and on a lesser enchi, maybe even stupid.

But...it is what I did.
 
Yes, I totally understand. I too am almost to that point myself. Suppose I could keep it up for 6 months, am I going to be doing this for 2 years longer, etc. Thanks Willow
 
Last year I hatched out 2 pastel enchi girls in a clutch, 1 strarted eating right away and the other didn't. After about a month and a half of assist feeding her my patience ran out and I gave her to a friend to work with her. I got her back 3 weeks ago and after about 6 months of assist feeding she finally figured it out and is slamming rats like there's no tomorrow! If you have the paitience to work with an animal it can pay off in the end.
 
Back
Top