• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Opinions

I use aspen mainly or cypress, but when I cant get it I use sanichips. I buy in bulk so it just depends on what I can get. Cypress is hard to get here. Anyone use liners?
 
Sani chips, and indented kraft. Paper for babies and breeders, sani chips for anything else.
 
I used to use aspen but after switched from tubs with lids to tubs without lids that just slide in I went from around 60% humidity in all tubs to about 30%. I switched over to cypress mulch and am now sitting at around 65% humidity in all tubs. Cypress is very cheap too.
 
How does shredded aspen hold humidity

It really depends on your ventilation and humidity in the room. Some tubs stay at 60%. Some drop over the course of 24 hours to 40%, but I also keep the room around 40. I have enclosures that will stay around 60% for two days and then drop on the third. I think it's good to let them dry out periodically and I treat each size of enclosure/tub differently when it comes to misting. It's a PIA, but I just check each snake daily and adjust. Over time you can just open it up and feel the humidity. I kind of waft it like smelling a soup :)
 
I use paper towel! I have used so many different types of substrate, and honestly prefer it over others now.

Ease of cleaning, ease of putting in, and the snakes dont mind. I provide hides for just about everybody, if they seem to prefer using them. Others just prefer hiding under the paper. But i use rack type systems, and one AP cage for a larger female Sumatran Short tail. Dont have any issues with humidity and such.
 
I use newspaper. I am in my snake room every day so it is easier for me to take out a piece that has urate or poop on it and replace it. I did not like aspen because I had to turn up the heat so it would penetrate the aspen. Then when the snake would adjust the aspen and be on the bottom of the tub with heat at 98. I found it easier to regulate temps with newspaper.
 
One question where do u buy shredded aspen in a big bag or bulk because with 30 tubs or more of putting aspen in the little bags of aspen would be expensive and would have to use 3 bags at a time lol
 
One question where do u buy shredded aspen in a big bag or bulk because with 30 tubs or more of putting aspen in the little bags of aspen would be expensive and would have to use 3 bags at a time lol

Go to a reptile show to pick it up. You should be able to pick up a bag of Teklad Shredded Aspen that is 35 lbs for anywhere for about $15-$25 depending on the seller. In order to buy direct from harlan you have to purchase at lease $1500 worth of aspen
 
Another option, if you don't have any herp shows nearby as I didn't. I used to purchase mine from these guys:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pestell-easy-clean-aspen-bedding-113l-bag-4-cu-ft

It's a pretty big bag. About the same size as the pine shavings bales I buy for rat bedding.

I'd just order enough bedding to last me a while, and then add a few more things to get the $100 = free shipping deal.
 
Back
Top