• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

please sign this petition

Nope, no way, not even gonna try this one.

They don't belong in the cabin of a plane.

Ship them properly and you'll have NO problems
 
I don't know. I was flying down to Ft. Worth for the NARBC show in Feb and was going to try to take a Suriname I'd picked up locally to the friend I was gonna stay with down there, but they wouldn't let me. I thought it was kinda silly. What harm could a 18" Suri do? And it would have been a safer and less stressful trip for the snake as well if I'd been able to take it on the plane with me. Plus I would have saved the shipping costs :shrug01:
 
And supposing grama jones next to you, or even better, Bubba from Arkansas the next ailse over, saw that snake, panicked and freaked out, maybe opening an escape hatch to get away from it?
 
LOL, no I was still going to box it up as if I were shipping, so there wouldn't have been any way anyone would have ever known what it was.

If I'd just stuck it in my pocket, then yeah, that might have been a problem.
 
i tend to agree that snakes don't belong in the cabin, but I also think that other animals don't belong in the cabin either. Some people are allergic to cats and dogs for instance.

My problem is the airlines do not recognize reptiles as pets period. You can put your dog in a crate and fly him as pet cargo, which is not in the regular cargo hold, but still not in the passenger cabin. Reptiles however cannot be shipped like that, they are placed in the regular non controlled cargo hold, and people with one pet needing to transport it find it all but impossible to do so with all the hoops the airlines make reptile shippers jump through.

There should be a means to allow someone with a pet reptile or two who are moving or whatever, to be able to fly their pets with them, but I agree, it shouldn't be in the passenger cabin.
 
Someone needing to ship one pet snake, one time, can't just walk in and ship it Dash, not with the new regs.
There's not much of an option for the one time shippers.
 
Ahhhh, that I had forgotten. It's been a long time since I had to use them.

Well, there's always the old sock in the jock routine.
 
Yeah, if I were a small time breeder and I happened to produce a small clutch/litter of high dollar animals (like a $6000 pied BP), I'd be willing to spend $200-300 on a round trip ticket just so I could hand carry the animal to the buyer rather than pray that the Fedex guys didn't use MY box as a soccer ball on the loading dock.
 
Wilomn said:
And supposing grama jones next to you, or even better, Bubba from Arkansas the next ailse over, saw that snake, panicked and freaked out, maybe opening an escape hatch to get away from it?
and what about my husband(who is HIGHLY allergic to cats and dogs) that is forced to sit next to a cat or a dog and has trouble breathing and breaks out in hives??? reptiles are hypo-allergenic and if in a carrier can not harm anyone.its only fair.also this isnt about being a way for breeders to ship,its about families that want to bring their beloved pet on vacations with them or maybe move across country with them? whats the harm with bringing a box with "a family member" on to the plane as a carry on? my step-daughter came to live with us one summer(from florida to CT) and she had to leave her gecko behind.i say,if you allow dogs and cats then reptile should also be allowed
 
Hello

Hello,

The other point is that cats & dogs are noisy!! LOL I flew one time & a person had a little dog in a carrier underneath his seat. I thought I was going to scream! That dog barked for half of the flight at least. I doubt too many people would have any idea that you even had a reptile with you anyway, unless you announced it. If you did show them, it might be a surefire way to keep people away from your seat! LOL

Tracie
 
Drache613 said:
Hello,

The other point is that cats & dogs are noisy!! LOL I flew one time & a person had a little dog in a carrier underneath his seat. I thought I was going to scream! That dog barked for half of the flight at least. I doubt too many people would have any idea that you even had a reptile with you anyway, unless you announced it. If you did show them, it might be a surefire way to keep people away from your seat! LOL

Tracie
tracie,you are a member of reptile room right?can you plz post this petition over there? thanks :thumbsup:
 
I signed it in the hope they will meet halfway, I find bringing dogs and cats not the greatest, But in some situations like moving thats all you can do. The best thing to do if you have a dog or cat is talk to your vet, Get some animal sleeping pills (they have those now, :shrug01: ) but not anesthesia, and have it in the animal hold. Good Airlines have a animal hold that is pressurized and heated, but is not in the cabin. Reptiles should be allowed there.

I mentioned on another forum, When I was little, I had a rubber snake that I got as a souvenir at a zoo on vacation, I was going to get on the plane and they stopped me, searched my bag, and made me take it out because they wouldn't, And made me ship it home. Because a 12" long rubber snake is scary to the people on the flight. :rolleyes:

The problem is, Either you ship it and hope that you get a flight that gets to your destination before the package, And that its not lost, Or you have to put it underneat, Which is not temperature regulated, And because the altitude its cold there, They throw it in, if you've ever watched them they just toss it in, and it will probably land upsidedown or something, Then you have a problem. And doesn't shipping a live animal require a licence?

There has to be a alternative to shipping, I thing that having a reptile with you, that is not disclosed, and is hidden from the public is not a horrible thing.
But I love the fact that you could have it with you the whole time, and tell someone that it was on the same flight and they would freak, Irrational, ignorant fear is the problem.

Hopefully something will be done as a alternative.

Ben
 
Why further and promote a petition for reptiles in the cabin if your hopes are to allow them in with pet cargo? If your goals are not specified in this petition, start another - one that may stand a better chance.

To support such an unrealistic position by arguing that people are allergic to cats and dogs is ridiculous. Just start a petition to ban all animals from the cabin - I will sign that one.

This petition, as written, has no chance of survival. It amazes me that you would think the airlines would even give it some consideration.

Bart
 
bsharrah said:
Why further and promote a petition for reptiles in the cabin if your hopes are to allow them in with pet cargo? If your goals are not specified in this petition, start another - one that may stand a better chance.

To support such an unrealistic position by arguing that people are allergic to cats and dogs is ridiculous. Just start a petition to ban all animals from the cabin - I will sign that one.

This petition, as written, has no chance of survival. It amazes me that you would think the airlines would even give it some consideration.

Bart
who are you referring to bart? who said that? what amazes me is that EVERY topic has to be a debate or an argument on this forum.it's simple...if you agree then sign it,if not then DON'T sign it.you do do not have to put down the person that wrote the petition,i am sure he put alot of time into it.that was very rude :NoNo:
 
Furthermore Bart,as a "contributing member" of the forum i would expect you to handle yourself a little better and set a good example ;)
 
Back
Top