• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

To cull or let it be ?

wolf100

Bartie
Joined
Oct 26, 2015
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vienna Austria
Today 8 hatchlings were born after 66 days. All were perfect except this one. It came out of the egg by itself, was breathing and showed no sign of pain. I wanted to put it into a plastic Container with moist paper and put it back into the incubation machine. But i asked in a german Forum on Facebook. Of course they told me i should cull it, how can i post it instead of culling it. etc., etc. So i culled it.
Might it had a Chance ? Might it´s belly had become closed ?
 

Attachments

  • 20161113_110615.jpg
    20161113_110615.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 208
I'm a snake guy, not a lizard guy, so I'm having a hard time telling if that is yolk sack or intestine? Snake stomachs will stay open like that sometimes and they tend to close just fine, IF it is yolk. IF that is intestine then = cull.

Again, I'm not a lizard guy.
 
That is viscera, not yolk sack. Many animals are born with this deformity, and if the hole is smaller (much smaller) it can be closed and the animal can live. I had a corn snake with a much smaller hole, which I was advised to close with super glue, and the animal lived and was even able to successfully breed later in life. However, I think the deformity was much too severe with your animal, and it would not have survived. I think you did the right thing by culling it. Even if you hadn't, it's unlikely the animal would have lived more than a few days.
 
I certainly would have culled, I think you did the right thing. It might not have appeared to be in pain, but really how could you tell? It's a very large opening and I can't see how it could have closed without surgery.
 
This occurs in humans as well. Gastroschises or omphaloceole depending on whether the viscera are enclosed in a membrane or not. Interesting today see something similar happens in reptiles as well.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top