• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

V. Melinus or V. Dumerilii

Dracosaurus

New member
Joined
Aug 30, 2014
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Rochester NY
I am trying to decide between these two lizards. They are my favorite in appearance and around the size I want (3-4ft). This would be my second monitor my first being a Timor and have owned beardies, corn snakes, balls, and different geckos. I want something more active and interactive. I have seen tame animals of each species but what I want to know is which one is more inclined to be tame. I am open to suggestions of other species of monitor if u feel these are not good animals for what I want (not ackies though). I am also wondering if a 7*3*5 is large enough but I can go taller. I am open to all input.
 
I have worked with both, the Dumeril monitor was in a pet store and I have a melinus. My melinus is really active and is beginning to settle in and be pretty personable. "She" will eat of tongs but is flightly and will run if startled . the Dumeril at the store would tail whip but never offered to bite but after I worked with him he would hang out with me while I worked and would protect us by tail whipping people who got too close to us.
 
I am trying to decide between these two lizards. They are my favorite in appearance and around the size I want (3-4ft). This would be my second monitor my first being a Timor and have owned beardies, corn snakes, balls, and different geckos. I want something more active and interactive. I have seen tame animals of each species but what I want to know is which one is more inclined to be tame. I am open to suggestions of other species of monitor if u feel these are not good animals for what I want (not ackies though). I am also wondering if a 7*3*5 is large enough but I can go taller. I am open to all input.

If you are planning to acquire youngsters and have no intention of breeding either species in the future, I suggest the Dumeril's Monitor - USCB specimens are not nearly as uncommon as those of V. melinus. Your enclosure dimensions as described should be adequate provided the space is usable. Make certain that your housing provides deep substrate that holds form for burrows, maintains high humidity, and allows for a range of temperatures (including 130°F plus basking areas that are necessary for optimal health.) I like to do what I call "cage packing" - grapewood driftwood, large cork flats, and cork tubes quite literally fill most of the cage above the substrate. This is extremely helpful for providing a temperature gradient and security for Varanids (most notably many notoriously "flighty" species), and almost counter-intuitively makes for a more outgoing captive. Best of wishes to you and your future acquisition!
 
Back
Top