• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Well, that's the end of it

SPJ

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2002
Messages
7,046
Reaction score
240
Points
63
Age
57
Location
Seymour, CT
The cross and a nice YB are now dead.
I have lost 70% of the animals this year to deformities or just dying right out of the egg.
Zoomed Reptibators SUCK!
 
Wow Steve! I am almost in tears for ya now:/
Once you hit rock bottom the only way you can go is up!!
Next year you will get 'em sir!

So sorry for the loses. Please keep your head up! If you need to vent, by all means......
 
Wow Steve! I am almost in tears for ya now:/
Once you hit rock bottom the only way you can go is up!!
Next year you will get 'em sir!

So sorry for the loses. Please keep your head up! If you need to vent, by all means......

This was the straw that broke the camels back. Between all of the sniping crap and the huge losses this year, I think it's time to just walk away. I have a local guy that has made a decent offer on my animals so I think I will take it.
 
Aww, I hope you don't give up.

I had less than 50% viable myself this year and I know I wanted to quit too. I hope you hang in there, especially if it's due to a new incubator.

You've always been a inspiration with the animals you produce and your passion for what you do.
 
That sucks, Steve. I was looking forward to the pics of the cross...and hoping you were right about what you thought was going on.
 
Here's a question I feel is legitimate given the situation, and I'm not trying to just be argumentative.

Given the issues with the incubator, and how many babies have had problems out of all of your clutches, how can you say with any certainty that the animal you refer to as a cross isn't just a product of incubator malfunction? I mean, I'm all for a wicked new cross or two, but we've all seen the funky stuff that tweaked incubation can do to hatchlings and pattern, etc.
 
Power is finally back on so I can now reply to the question.

The reason for thinking it is a codom is due to the specific head patterns that all of these animals share.

You can see on the original import male that the head is heavily blushed along with the neck. The head is also noticibly outlined. The eyestripe is also somewhat shorted and also noticibly outlined.
These same characteristics are evident in the babies produced by the founding male. In addition, these characteristics are also present with the "supers" that Deb produced. The YB cross also had these charateristics in addition to a lavender hue to it. I don't think incubation issues would cause the head and neck characteristics on the cross to match the other animals or cause the unique coloring.

Attached are some photos illustrating the distint head and neck patterns and outlining that all share.

Original import male
l.jpg


Baby from that male that Deb bought.
het3.jpg


Different baby from same original clutch that had unique color so she was held back. This one also had pronounced "hooks".
h.jpg


Baby Deb produced from the animals from the original clutch.
l1.jpg


The YB cross. Also odd color along witht he distinct head and neck.
019-1.jpg


More breeding definitely needs to be done but I am leaning more towards codom then recessive.
 
Back
Top