• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Whats with this????

Gregg M

Hognose Breeder
Joined
Apr 12, 2004
Messages
1,505
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
51
Location
Staten Island NY
People selling 100% hets for blazing blizzard????? They are Het for blizzard and het for albino....... If you ask me it is false advertising...... It is like telling the buyer they will produce BBs without a doubt..... Anyway, speeking of blazing blizzards, Congrats on the bell there Kelli and Steve...... Looks like bells are becoming quite incredible because of your work.....
 
My efforts in jungle bells.
Kelli's efforts in hybino bells.
Our joint effort in bell blazing blizzards.


I'm still in shock, for what its worth. It is unbelievably satisfying to see a dream come to life.
 
As for selling "Het blazing blizzard," I don't agree with it. Although it is not false advertising it is blatantly misleading.
 
I agree It is completely misleading.But there are a lot out there advertising 100%het for BB I have seen them But I ain't buying them.I personally am Mor heading towards Hybinos.I think they are just gorgeous...so Kelli.....Hopefully next season I can save some money and be looking for you for some Hybinos.I have purposley stayed away from your site because I want everything on it:D I am working very hard on bringing one of my geckos back to health and can't even think about bringing anything new in just right now.
Robin
 
Yeppers

A few years back the same thing was being done with PA's . I actually went round and round with an individual that stated he had a degree in Biology. It was funny that he still advertised them that way even after the lengthy discussion.
 
Selling "het" anything is a bluff, in my opinion. Especially when they add percentages to this and that, without being geneticists.

Now, some play with numbers and squeeze their observations into a mathematical table with probabilities. When in fact, Mother Nature does not follow those predictions to the letter.

So, a breeder that claims "possible het for this or that" is more credible. Seems more reasonable to buy a pair that kicks butt and hope the offspring will look like them rather than buy an animal hoping that a miraculous statistical hit makes it look like mom or dad... But think thoroughly before you pay a pretty penny for a het thing you don't even see... in my opinion

Interesting to see how many breeders sell their "het for this or that" pairs after a couple of years:eek:

I know I am going to get it:duck01: Just speaking from observations. Have mercy on the flamin':bolt01:
 
Selling "het" anything is a bluff, in my opinion. Especially when they add percentages to this and that, without being geneticists
Now, some play with numbers and squeeze their observations into a mathematical table with probabilities. When in fact, Mother Nature does not follow those predictions to the letter.
So, a breeder that claims "possible het for this or that" is more credible. Seems more reasonable to buy a pair that kicks butt and hope the offspring will look like them rather than buy an animal hoping that a miraculous statistical hit makes it look like mom or dad... But think thoroughly before you pay a pretty penny for a het thing you don't even see... in my opinion
Interesting to see how many breeders sell their "het for this or that" pairs after a couple of years

first you do not need to be a geneticist to understand how simple genetics work.

wanda i do not think you understand simple genetics.
if i breed an albino or a noemal all the babies will be het meaning they carry the gene for albinism. when the hets are bred together statistically 1/4 will be albino,1/4 will be normal appearing "het" and the rest will be normals not carrying the gene... thus all normals are refered to as possible hets. you can not tell which will be hets... in the leo market you do not see very many possible hets but in boa constricictor and ball python morphs and MANY have got 66% proable hets and proved them out and even 50% possible het and proved the gene.

hets in the leo market are very (for the most part) affordable and sometimes down right cheap.

you have no idea how fun it is working with hets... PA's went way down this year. i could have bought one if i wished but the satisfaction in creating one you help produced is killer. and you know what i got my PA by breeding and making it myself. that is so much more fullfilling than just buying it. to those of you whom that want hybinos make em!!!!! its a blast!!! i produce Two bell hybinos this season and it is an incredible feeling to see those guys coming right out the egg. shoot ill even take the chance on nice 66er's it's that much fun.


as far as seeing people selling adult hets after a couple of year they usually do this once they create the desired morph they are trying to achieve.

as far as the 100% BB's yes its misleading double het blizzard
 
doody, i hit enter before i was done on accident.
finishing
double het blizzard/ albino would be the correct term used and for whatever strain bell,tremper or rainwater.
 
How many claim to know what is in the animal's gene pool...

Well if you hatch out an animal and one of the parents was an albino and the other was a normal, you as the breeder know that it is a het albino. All 3 strains of albinism in leopard geckos have been proven to be a recessive trait, as have the blizzard and the patternless traits.

What part of the genetics of simple recessive traits do you not understand? Maybe I can help you understand it.
 
Assuming someone gets thier animals from a reputable breeder, they should know what is in thier animals' gene pools...especially for the ones they have produced themselves. The only problem I'd be concerned about with hets is scammers selling non-hets as hets or possible hets, which isn't a problem if you get them from reputable breeders like Kelli or Robin here... You may not know all of the genetics, but with simple traits like albino, patternless, and blizzard it's not that hard to tell what's what unless someone sells you an animal not sold as het or possible het that actually is.
 
I could KISS ROBIN!

Easy now I am just excited. It was just an expression. I am just so glad she articulated what I myself believe in and love about this hobby so much.

you have no idea how fun it is working with hets... PA's went way down this year. i could have bought one if i wished but the satisfaction in creating one you help produced is killer. and you know what i got my PA by breeding and making it myself. that is so much more fullfilling than just buying it. to those of you whom that want hybinos make em!

She is so right. I wish more people realized how much fun this is. They are missing out on alot of fun by not doing this type of thing themselves. She put it best though in the above qoute. Hets are a BLAST TO WORK WITH. Trust me this is so true. Not only that even selective breeding comes into play in this. You can by an average looking animal from nice backgrounds and produce TOP NOTCH animals out of it. Oh well Robin wrote it better than I could. FOR ALL WHO READ THIS. YOU NEED TRY DOING THINGS YOURSELF! I am not knocking buying expensive stock and getting awesome results from it if you can afford that sort of thing. But I would like to encourage people who don't have those type of resources to try and work at stuff! It takes time but the results are REWARDING. Not only that it diversifies leopard gecko stock out there!!!!
 
I do feel that working with hets will be great...... But as I stated in the original post, I do not like when someone sells hets for blazing blizzards...... Like others said in the thread, it is very misleading..... I for one was not crazy about about hets and I would still be alittle leary about buying hets from someone but I will have a great time producing my own...... And when I sell the hets off that I am not holding over their coloration will be the determining factor in their price if they are not 100% het...... And I will not be calling them het for hybino.....LOL
 
But correct me if I'm wrong but they aren't lying.... blizzard x albino are in fact het for Blazing both traits have been proven recessive! Now its only fair for the buyer to know that the outcome of producing a Blazing is far less that what it should be.
 
You are wrong..... They are het for albino and het for blizzard, not het for blazing blizzard..... You can breed those hets for the rest of their lives and never come up with a blazing blizzard.....
 
Xavier,
they are double het albino and blizzard.. now in genetics it says 1:16 you will produce a BB but it seems much harder (for some reason) to produce BB's. by stating het for BB you are misleading either
1) breed these two and you will get 1/4 BB's or
2) breeding the double hets will gaurentee you a BB.
like Gregg said even though the stats say 1:16 you could breed them forever and never produce one single BB
 
hets

OK... If you breed an Albino with a Blizzard, you will NOT get hets for Blazing Blizzard. You will get offspring that are hets... het for Albino and het for Blizzard. Now, if you bred those babies (Het. blizzard, Het. albino x Het. blizzard, Het. albino) based on genetic probability you would get:

6.25% normal
12.5% normal, het. albino
6.25% albino
12.5% normal, het. blizzard
25% normal, het. blizzard, het. albino
12.5% albino, het. blizzard
6.25% blizzard,
12.5% blizzard, het. albino
6.25% blizzard albino (blazing blizzard)

The downside is, that with all the normal babies you would get, you would not know which ones would be the hets or double hets until they were proven out. With the albinos, you would not know which were het for blizzard, and with the blizzards you would not be able to tell which ones are het for albino. These offspring would qualify for being "possible hets", and this is where the fun begins!
 
Thanks Guy

Sprry I was mis understanding it, I guess even do it a double het that caqn produce a Blazing its still not het for blazing.
Xavier
 
Back
Top