Gravid, or.... ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-02-2004, 02:10 AM   #1
Sasheena
Gravid, or.... ?

Okay, 39 days ago Licorice, my banded cal king, laid a clutch of 15 eggs. Today she is blue for her post egg laying shed. She is also very "Girthy". She was bred 12 days ago and again 10 days ago. Her last meal was 11 days ago and she refused the meal I offered five or six days ago.

I figure she's either gravid already (so why did she breed?) or she could use a little more "Lovin".... But I am just not sure. She certainly did not read the manual on when she should have her post egg laying shed.

Should I feed her after she sheds and then put her with the male after she's had time to digest?

If she refuses food should I not put the male with her in case she is getting ready to lay another clutch?

I was worried a bit that she might have some problem so I put her with the same male (all her first clutch of eggs died about a week to ten days after being laid). Would it muddy the waters if I were to put her with another male? (ie perhaps there is some incompatibility between her and her high white mate, that would be masked as a causation, if I were to cross her to my other cal king). I probably will (now that I think about it) not put the other male in with her. He may be a little less "used" this year, but it's better to be sure about what is causing the problems, or as sure as possible. If she has another dud clutch then next year I'll put her with a completely different male (maybe even my jurassic milk?) so as to be certain if it is her own failing that keeps her from producing a clutch, a genetic aberrancy, or what.

Hopefullly it was just a once only thing that caused the eggs to die (AC failure while she was gravid), and her next clutch is more successful in hatching out.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:57 PM   #2
Sasheena
Major Frustration....

I'll never have this puzzle solved.... I was expecting her to lay eggs, she gave every sign of being gravid, and then she escaped! ARGH

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!