uromastryx problem - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
zarko
uromastryx problem

pliese help my newlly aquired uromastryx is eating very small amouts of green and vagatables but he is into insects he is allways preperd to eat insects.
how should i make him eats vegies ??carrot green, dandoline and similar vegies is on the meni.
thanks

Old 07-19-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarko
pliese help my newlly aquired uromastryx is eating very small amouts of green and vagatables but he is into insects he is allways preperd to eat insects.
how should i make him eats vegies ??carrot green, dandoline and similar vegies is on the meni.
thanks
Insects should definitely be given sparingly with Uros. I don't give insects more than ever couple weeks. As far as veggies, mine loves Chicory (curly endive) and Dandelion greens. It will take some time but he will eat. I ordered some powder for the food as well that seems to work well in getting him to eat different stuff. Check it out:

http://www.cricketfood.com/product_i...roducts_id/181

Old 07-19-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
zarko
thanks... ill thry

Old 07-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
Junkyard
Give him time, he will come around and be a veggie eating machine. What I do for my uro, I buy a Spring Mix, prepackaged bag of salad at the grocery store, my Uro loves it and it has a few different kinds of greens in it. He is a big dandelion fanatic, so I get a bunch of dandelions to ad to the mix. I always keep a bowl of bird seed in his cage, a good kind to get is the bird seeds with dried fruit mixed in it. A food item my uro goes crazy for is from Nature Zone called Iguana Bites, which you can get a free sample of at their website http://www.naturezonepet.com/samples.html

You ought to posts pictures of him in the Uromastyx forum, we are currently having a photo contest with a prize. Click on the link below my name.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
Give him time, he will come around and be a veggie eating machine. What I do for my uro, I buy a Spring Mix, prepackaged bag of salad at the grocery store, my Uro loves it and it has a few different kinds of greens in it. He is a big dandelion fanatic, so I get a bunch of dandelions to ad to the mix. I always keep a bowl of bird seed in his cage, a good kind to get is the bird seeds with dried fruit mixed in it. A food item my uro goes crazy for is from Nature Zone called Iguana Bites, which you can get a free sample of at their website http://www.naturezonepet.com/samples.html

You ought to posts pictures of him in the Uromastyx forum, we are currently having a photo contest with a prize. Click on the link below my name.
Thanks for the heads up on the free sample, Michael! Good way to try and see if they like it.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
Junkyard
No problem! Of course I spent money on my cubes. It was an try and see sort of deal, I looked at my hand with the cubes and at the iguana, then thought popped in my head that iguanas are vegetarians so there was no harm in finding out if my uro would like them. Sure enough they are his favorite treats.

Zarko, let us know how your Uro is doing in the future!!

Old 07-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #7
zarko
ok thanks but it is a little more dificult cause i am form Serbia and theydont send samlpes or orders to Europe... so i have to improvise all the time.. i give him dendoline, carrot tops and all similar things. cause he is wc i am a little suspitios abouth his surviving acctually i am hellping some girt to get him surrvive this whole thing. she bouught him in tunnisia and brought it here. my personal exsperince with wc are bad cause people do not call me untill the reptile is totally ill. if u beleive in Serbia there is no vetenerian for reptiles acctualy i read more then any one and i ma just an enthusiast. i am into geckoes so the most of the times i am my ow vetenerian

Old 07-20-2006, 11:57 PM   #8
aliceinwl
I've heard of some people having success getting a uro into veggies by sprinkling the bee pollen available in health food stores on the greens. If you haven't seen it yet: http://www.deerfernfarms.com/Uromastyx_Care.htm has some great into on it in terms of diet and getting wc acclimated.

Good luck!
Alice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!