Trying to breed mice... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
nyyankfan17
Trying to breed mice...

I have been trying to breed mice but they keep eating eachother. I am not really sure what has been going wrong. I have been putting 1 male and 1 female together. Could someone please give me some tips? Thanks.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
Wilomn
First off, are you SURE you have a male and a female and NOT two males?

What are you feeding? Is there adequate water available? What is the temp? What kind of mice are they?

I believe there are several threads about breeding rodents here, you might try using the search function and check on mouse/rodent breeding.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
InFocus
We occasionally have a cannibalism problem. We solve ours by eliminating the bad mouse. We have 4 10 gallon tanks set up with a 1.3 or 1.4 ratio. Plenty of food and water available at alltimes. We also have exercise wheels, I think it gives 'em something to do other than eat each other.

Buy a 1.3 selection and throw them into a new clean tank. Watch out for problems. If something happens eliminate the culprit and add mice as needed to keep the ratio. When you add the mice always move them to a new container or clean the old one that way there is no territorial issues to deal with. Everyone is in a "new" cage.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Cat_72
Besides always having plenty of food and water, the "new cage" rule is very important to remember. Mice can be very territorial, and when a new one is introduced into another mouse's or group of mice's territory, nothing good usually comes of it. I always have a spare "rotating" tank or cage to integrate any new mice brought in.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
nyyankfan17
Thanks for your help.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
DragonCharm
Good tip on the "new tank" concept. I was having some difficulties introducing new animals into my cages and that will probably do the trick for me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!